Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best carb Holley or Quadrajet??? >

Best carb Holley or Quadrajet???

Notices

Best carb Holley or Quadrajet???

Old 11-20-2003, 03:36 AM
TPCRacing

Default Re: Best carb Holley or Quadrajet???

Originally posted by Brian Crane
What would be the best carb & size to use. I have a 89-28" Pantera with twin 468 Lunati cams,Team G intakes Holley 850 & SSM exhaust
For a heavy boat BBC application the HP950 or even hybrid version 950 would be the best carburetor and here is why...

The 950 carburetor uses a 750 mainbody (1 3/8" venturi) and 850 throttlebody (1 3/4" throttlebore). This gives the Marine BBC a very strong bottom-end signal for torque and a more top-end horsepower thanks to the larger throttlebody.

I build these types of carbs all day long for Marine set-ups and hands down the 950 is the hot-ticket, just below a HP1000 carburetor.

Stay away from those 830s for this type of application. I won't go into much detail but to say they were originaly designed for NASCAR trucks not for Marine torque monsters. Granted they'll function in this enviroment but it's not money well spent. The bang for the buck factor is out of tolerance.

~Ty