Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions >

Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Notices

Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Old 11-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

I would like to change to synthetic oil, but I am wondering how to get the old oil out completely as I understand you should not mix the two. I have to suck the oil out the dipstic so I do not get it all. I also don't think you drain the oil cooler and lines completely. Is it necessary to get it all out? I know there are a number of you out their that have changed to the synthetic oil, so what did you do?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've broken new engines in with reg. oil and then switched to syn. with no problems. If it really worrys you , only run it a few hours and change it (and filter) again. What's left at that point won't be worth worrying about.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:20 PM
Registered

ttt

should you use the same weight oil with synthetic? I have stock 502's 425hp am thinking of switching to mobil 1. is any one syn better than the other? Also, does the frequency of oil changes differ?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

No need to sweat about getting the old oil out. They'll mix with no problems.

Yes, use a synthetic with the same "weight" as conventional oil. Synthetics are actually different in the way their viscosity behaves at different temps and such than conventional oils, so they just stamp on the can what conventional oil the synthetic behaves like.

(synths remain pourable when cold and do not lose lubricating properties at the same heat ranges as conventionals).

In a boat, your oil change interval is set by the need to remove contaminants in the oil from blowby and combustion byproducts that get in the oil and remain in suspension by the detergents in the oil - not from oil breakdown. Therefore, the fact that synth oil will last far longer before breakdown is not a concern, you gotta change out the contamination on the same schedule. This means that oil change intervals remain the same.

Use cheap oil for your change before winter layup and then change it again after a couple of hours in the spring to your good stuff.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Use Mobile 15-50 -- look for the red stripe on the container and would suggest a Fram HP4 oil filter.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not A Problem.

I ran the Merc stuff in a Baja 212 with 454, a 272 with 502 and the 36 with 500's until 20 hours on each.

Then I switched to Mobile 1 15W50 in each, using the Fram HP4 filter and sometimes the Merc Racing Filter.

I have received VERY good service out of all these engines.

Don't worry about making the change.
Attached Thumbnails Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions-picture-320.jpg  
Old 11-21-2003, 02:34 PM
jjj
Registered

Why does my merc manual say not to use synthetic oil & multi visc?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

You beat me to it. The Merc website specifically states that you should not use synthetics. Anyone know why?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:34 PM
25 Eagle

I run the M1 15/50 with no problems. There might be better oils out there and cost more money but M1 is the best bang for the buck.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Dock Holiday
Not A Problem.

I ran the Merc stuff in a Baja 212 with 454, a 272 with 502 and the 36 with 500's until 20 hours on each.

Then I switched to Mobile 1 15W50 in each, using the Fram HP4 filter and sometimes the Merc Racing Filter.

I have received VERY good service out of all these engines.

Don't worry about making the change.
Dock Holiday, What's your experience w/ those Vortec filters? Any better performance than w/ the K&N's? It's time for new one's for me and am deciding if they're worth the extra $$$$. Found the K&N's on Eddie Marine's site for around $60.

Quick Reply: Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.