Old 11-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5 Diesel Trouble Cold Starting

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the symptoms? My 7.3 used to romp when really cold. Sometimes would barely turn over. Try cycling the glow plugs a few times before starting.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Sutphen30, it is probably the glo-plugs or the glo-plug relay. Just ohm meter check each plug when
it's unhooked from the loom.

Also make sure you got good battery power, those early models (6.2 & 6.5) need the starter turning max
r's.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Registered

I would check the relay first eventually the contact plate gets pitted up enough so it won't make good contact anymore. In mine you can see the volt gauge go down while it's drawing power so you might be able to tell while your in the truck. If not one morning when it's cold jump across the relay manually for a couple minutes and try to start it without waiting for the light to go out. If it fires right up the relay is probably bad if you still have the problem it is probably the plugs.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The quickie method that I used to use to check glow plugs: Disconnect the buss wire. Take a jumper wire and connect one end to the battery with alligator clip. Now touch the end of the jumper to each glow plug. If you get a spark, the plug is good. No spark, the plug is bad. I used to go through a set of glow plugs every season. Turn out the relay was defective and they were staying on. The light switch, although contained in the relay, was independent of it and worked normally.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Registered

Default What year model?

My diesel is a 1999 and mine went back to the dealership from where I purchased the truck 6 months earlier and they replaced the glow plugs for me. No Charge.
They are under warranty until 100,000 miles.
I also remember getting a paper from GM that extended the engine warranty to 120,000 due to some injector pump problems.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have good glow plugs then it may be time to replace the batteries. If the engine doesn't turn over fast enough it doesn't build enough heat of compression and so becomes hard to start.
When it is cranking is it blowing white smoke???
If it is then it is probably glow plugs.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

thanks for the tips.i installed the remote start.it has a 10 second delay,and tries three times to start.i have it set on a longer crank time.when its cold it takes 4 or 5 tries to start.when plugged heater in it fired right up.if i use the key it will start but i have to crank it longer.also i do get smoke out the tail pipe.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are getting a lot of smoke then you probably have a few bad igniters.
If you try to change the igniters and they don't want to come out dont pry them out just leave them loose ( one at a time ) ( put a can over the loose one and turn the engine over ) the igniter will blow out. The can is important because the igniter will be like a bullit.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 30 sec. delay I my remote start.

Quick Reply: 6.5 Diesel Trouble Cold Starting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.