Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Checking u-joints on Alpha I >

Checking u-joints on Alpha I

Notices

Checking u-joints on Alpha I

Old 01-17-2002, 03:03 PM
imq707s

Exclamation Checking u-joints on Alpha I

Can someone walk me through the procedure of checking the u-joints in my drive this spring. Are there any tips or tricks that will make it go easier?

Old 01-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to check them for any play. Pull the drive and turn them up-down left-right etc. and turn them to see if there is any play in them. IF you have ANY play, replace them. Hell I would replace them anyways if there old, and you have the drive out.

Jason
Old 01-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced mine when the drive was taken off the boat this fall.. If they are old just replace them. Mine looked all rusty plus I didn't know the previous owner history. I was gonna just use chevy auto u-joints but the grease zert is in the wrong location. So I bought a set of marine ones from our buddie at the marina, which have the grease zert in the right location, these also were a heavy duty u- joint in which the needle bearings were larger. At the same time I went through the whole top end off the alpha with bearings, seals and put a water pump assembly and seals in the lower..
Old 01-18-2002, 07:39 AM
imq707s

What is involved in pulling the drive off? Do I have to desconnect the drive shaft bellow and shift cable bellow? Will I need new gaskets and bellows when I put the drive back on?

Old 01-18-2002, 07:56 AM
Registered

Shifter in forward, loosen nuts at front of trim cylinders, remove nuts washers and rubbers at back end of trim cylinders, then 6 nuts/washers that hold drive on. You would need new gasket and "O" ring at face where drive came off. Check bellows (u-joint and shift)thoroughly for cracks/tears or stiffness and replace if required. Spin gimbal bearing (where front shaft of drive came from) and make sure it spins smooth and not loose. Take good flashlight and look through the gimbal bearing at the splines in the engine coupler to make sure they don't look like sharp teeth. If u-joints are ok be sure to grease. Make sure you grease input shaft before installing the drive.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: David ]
Old 01-18-2002, 08:07 AM
imq707s

Thanks for the info David, that's what I was looking for. Where is the cheapest place to order the o-rings and gaskets from? I think Westmarine stocks a bunch of drive parts. Who else should I call? Any places on the net that have good service and cheap parts?

Old 01-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Gasket set comes with "O"rings and is about $15.00 I think. West Marine, or any local boat store should carry that part you need. The bellows are a little more. Try http://www.boatfix.com
for parts at a reasonable price.