Notices

pistons

Old 12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default pistons

I have a motor that should be a 454mag.
I know is was redone and it does have dipple rods. My concern are the pistons. All the forged pistons I have had where JE and these pistons look just like my stock 7.4 pistons. How do you tell if they are caste(sp) or forged?

Last edited by KCHOTBOAT; 12-02-2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cast pistons will have a 'parting' line on the inside were the 2 halves of the mold come together. May also have steel plates that are visible on the inside next to the piston pin holes.

Forged will have neither of the above. Also usually a smoother inside surface. Not a sandy texture that is common with cast parts..
Old 12-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

These pistons that should have been forged have a sandy look to them which made me wonder about them. Also when I compared them to the 7.4 pistons all the places number where the ones I have where ground down. Guess I will be buying pistons now. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible the original forged pistons were replaced with hypereutectic pistons, which have a much greater strength than cast pistons but are considerably less expensive than forged pistons. I've used the hypereutectic pistons in hi-performance applications without any problems. If you're going to be doing mostly full-throttle running the JE or SpeedPro forged pistons would be my choices. I prefer SpeedPro because they tend to be a little lower in price than JE but both are excellent pistons. What compression ratio were you thinking of running?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

I got this motor in on a trade. The number one piston is odd since all but it have valve reliefs but it. The cam I am running is larger than the cam I took out. Money is a issue on this motor at this time. I am thinking about running as high of compression as I can to run on 93 gas.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Registered

Dyno and SuperV are running about 9.6:1 compression on pump gas, Dyno has hypereutectic pistons while SuperV has forged. otherwise the engines are identical. I can put together a parts list for you if you'd like. Then you can check prices locally as everything is supplied by Federal Mogul.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 230 hours on the hyperutectics right now no problems run them on pump gas to 5100 rpm...
Old 12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

Maybe next summer you'll actually move the throttles to the wide-open position,,,,,
Old 12-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Originally posted by Crazyhorse
Dyno and SuperV are running about 9.6:1 compression on pump gas, Dyno has hypereutectic pistons while SuperV has forged. otherwise the engines are identical. I can put together a parts list for you if you'd like. Then you can check prices locally as everything is supplied by Federal Mogul.
I would be interested in the list. They are hypereutectic pistons but one does not match the rest.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Registered

Let me know what heads (like stock rectangular-port, Merlin-oval,,,) you plan on using so that I can give you a good piston recommendation.

Quick Reply: pistons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.