Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
383 stroker - components and hp >

383 stroker - components and hp

Notices

383 stroker - components and hp

Old 12-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 220. Santa doesn't bring cams to our house, just fur coats.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bouncedcheque
Thanks 220. Santa doesn't bring cams to our house, just fur coats.
Hint...Put your own cam of your choice in the sleeve of the coat

Also Guys...two friends of mine both run 406 and 408 sbc's. One guy started with a 350 mag , did the 325 crate engine thing(wasn't satisfied). worked that over to 383 and Vortec heads (wasn't satisfied) , and finally went to a 408( kinda satisfied ). At this point his boat has about reached its limit for power and speed , anything more could be suicide.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit and Jegs offer the stroker kit, check with a good machine shop as well when they do your block about if they can get the kits as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

i run a 350 @ ~ 410 crank hp through an alpha SS at 5500 rpm... not a hiccup for the first season on the drive but this is in a light hull also (16 donzi classic).

i do a few performance engines on the side during the winter months for summer play money and i've often looked at the cost and benefits of a 383 vs say a 434. the 383 can be assembled economically or it can be put together with a big price tag. this all boils down to the hp, torque, rpm and intended use of the motor. if i was gonna spend the money to put together a sbc that i wanted to make BIG torque and HP numbers and be able to run at high rpms continuously (say 5500 and up) and have it last i'd spend the money and look at a 434. You can find complete rotating assemblies, short block kits and longblock kits at various locations for reasonable costs. you can achieve 525/525 out of a 434 running her under 6K on 92 octane and keep it pretty mild (only a SLIGHT lope)...

check out www.shafiroff.com

this in no way is meant to detract from the abilities of a 383! i love them too but figured i'd toss a twist in for good measure

I am also a FIRM believer in Pro-Action cylinder heads... both for the performance they offer and the pricetag. i also prefer the roller camshaft route
Old 12-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 220BR
Thanks for the info on the Alpha. I'm in the same boat (hah): 383+Alpha, but I still have thru-prop exhaust.

I understand about 5.7" putting more stress on block wall/skirt, but the corollary to that should be that the 5.7" has more leverage (mechanical advantage) at peak cylinder pressure than the 6." Isn't that right?

Anyway, I had been told that 6" were better for high rpm and 5.7 better for torque, so I went with 5.7 (Scat rods and crank) and forged TRW pistons. I'm presently under-cammed and poor-headed, so I only have about 360 hp at 5200
6" rods will be better for both worlds provided you are aware of the price for the pistons & rods. However no matter the quality of the piston using a 6" rod you have to go the extra mile to insure that you have a detonation proof engine. The problem is on the small Chevy w/ 6" rods is that the piston rings are set so much higher on the piston that there is not enough meat on the piston between the rings. I have seen many strokers die this way. Now Travis has some hi dollar equipment in his horse that will allow him to maintain 6000 and even 6500 RPMs for quite a few seasons. If you go out and buy the basic Jegs stroker kit then you will actually be limited to the RPMs you can turn (wouldn't go over 5000 sustained)

Another problem is when you go with a stroker you have to be careful about the clearance between the rod bolts and the cam lobe. A big cam will get you some interference problems. This is especially problematic when the block has been align bored (let's face it sometimes it is necessary) It may require special rod bolts and or a dremel tool.

Roby
Old 12-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

Currently running 335's putting out about 425 HP...........Tore then down at 400 hours looked great.

These engines spin 6000 rpm's all day long, and have .600 solid rollers in them.

Take your time, use pretty good parts, double check everything & you'll be fine at the HP you want.

I'm sure of you used premium parts, you could get to 500 HP on pump gas, but you'd need good heads, an intake & cam.

Just my opinion.