OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT >

OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Notices

OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Old 01-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

I was pricing an oil thermostat to raise my engine oil temp up to 215 degrees as recommended by many builders and because the engine never reaches over 150 degrees with a 140 degree 'stat (drilled also) as recommended by Procharger.
CP Performance wants $225.00
Teague wants $215.00 !!
Go to SUMMIT & you can get one for $35-40.00

They look very similar but has anyone ever used the Perma-Cool Remote Oil Thermostat?
I cannot see where the one from CP or Teage is woth $200.00 more than Summits????
Any opinions out there????
Old 01-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Perma cool works just fine, rigged one up last summer. You will need to make your own lines and mounting brackets etc. but that is half the fun. With a large oil cooler temps vary between 210 and 220 at the filter. The Perma Cool routes about 10% of the oil past the cooler (never goes through cooler) so if your present oil cooler is not large enough your oil temps will be higher.
Tim T.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Registered

My cooler is original equipment & is evidently plenty large... I can't get the temp up. That is why I was exploring this option! Thanks !
Old 01-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm putting the Perma Cool ones on now. I agree - they're nothing but a housing and a thermostat. There's no reason they should cost hundreds of dollars. Just another case of gouging boat owners.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Registered

We all know this:
BOAT = Bend Over And Take it
BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand
Old 01-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Are you sure your oil temp is too cold?? Do you have an oil temp guage?? If not you need to get one first or you may be trying to fix something that isn't broke. Water temp at 150* sounds normal to me. Thats what most boats run at +/- 10*.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:25 AM
Registered

I have used the Perma Cool for 2 years and have had no problems. Works Great.
John
Old 01-23-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

That's beautiful. I just got done installing the $260!!!!!! Eickert one. Oh well.

Craig
Old 01-23-2002, 08:37 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Don't feel too bad spending the $260 for one, I did it for four, engines and trannies. While I could have went the inexpensive route, with Eickert stuff you get billet machined aluminum housings, machined for the oil ring type fittings and all anodized. The fittings probably cost more than $30. I believe it is the same stuff used by some of the serious auto race teams so it should be good. It's kinda like the hose deal with boats. Often times you can get by with using garden hose vs the good stuff and it would get the job done!
Old 01-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Registered

Bob, just to let you know....Summit sells quality stuff. The oil thermostat in question is made from billet aluminum & has AN- type fittings. I personally like the AN- aircraft fittings better than o-rings because they tear, shrink, etc. in use. AN- fittings never leak and have no washers/rings to wear out. It looks like from this post the answer is the Summit unit has been successful. I guess the Marine Industry better start paying attention.....they can run business away because of stuff like this!
Thanks OSO !!

Quick Reply: OIL THERMOSTATS = PRICEY PRODUCT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.