Talking

Hey Dave!

Yep, they are perfect for my setup!
Old 01-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay,

My B3 has the 2.0 ratio and from your post above it should pull my heavier boat from the 4250RPM's to about 5000RPM's which should be right for the 502MAG.

What I do not understand however is that one of my buddies has a '00 Crownline 225C with a stock 502MAG and his dealer put 30P's on it and he is pulling about 4600RPM's at an indicated 65MPH + ... I do not know if he has a 2.0 vs. 1.81 drive ratio but it seems over propped to me. He can not catch me in smooth water until about 50MPH +, which with a 502 vs. a 7.4MPI in a lighter boat never made sense to me.

Jamal
Old 01-26-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered

I think that Crownline will put 30-pitch props and 2.0 gears on a 22-foot boat with a 502 and a Bravo 3. That sounds about right. If your friend will send his props to Hill Propellers, they should be able to repitch his props to get him to 5000 rpms.

However, he also sounds like a perfect candidate for some small performance upgrades. If he will get some better manifolds i.e. Stainless Marine from CP Performance, Corsa thru-hull exhaust (assuming that he does not already have it), K&N Flame Arrestor (also from CP Performance), then he should gain some mph.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Mike Shaak

Clay
I've been working with Joel, at Hill Props, and they are doing some R&D with the B3's. It seems that they think that by cutting the diameter of the front prop that they can mantian a higher pitch and still pick up the extra rpm's that I for one am looking for. Joel said that they should be ready with my props next week. I can't wait to give them a try, this summer. I'm having them set up for summer conditions.
I really like the B3's, great around the docks, and great exceleration, due to the lesser slipage.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:53 AM
Mike Shaak

Clay
I was just wondering about something, you keep mentioning about a great hole shot, Well to me, that would be the time that it would be easy to break the drive, right. With a high HP & torque motor I wouldn't think that "hole shots" would be the thing that I should be doing. Maybe you can help me to better understand this consept.

Old 01-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Since most boats only have one gear (no transmission) there will always be a trade off between proping for hole-shot and proping for top-end. Most boats that are proped for slow crusing (ski boats, etc.) will not go very fast. Boats that are proped for top end take FOREVER to get on plane. Most use trim tabs to help them get on plane.

The Bravo 3 has six blades, so it has less prop slip. This gives it a better hole-shot than a Bravo 1. However, since the prop doesn't "slip", this creates more strain on the gears. Both the Bravo 1 and the Bravo 3 have the same "upper", and they should be able to handle the torque of your 496HO.

As long as your don't make any changes to your engine, your Mercury warranty will "fix" any problems you have. However, when you add a Whipplecharger (like I did), you're on your own!

So, with a Bravo 3 you get a better hole shot WITH LESS THROTTLE than a Bravo 1. If you prop it right, the Bravo 3 is the best all-around drive for your Crownline.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

i have b3 with 1:81 gears and love it. i really enjoy the midrange kick down...will put back in your seat but i believe you will gain 1-3 mph with the b1...to me not worth the trade off of a b3
Old 01-31-2002, 09:32 PM
KB235

Arrow

Whats up everybody,i thought i was solo with my B3. I have a 23 ft Chapparal with a 350 mag bravo 3 2.2 28p props "2000".My question is what would happen if i changed gear ratio to a 2.0. The boat will run 55 now, it had 26p props but the dealer changed them to 28p because i was hitting my rev limiter.About 2 weeks ago some low life stole my out drive so i need a new one.Thats why the question. :[*]

Old 02-01-2002, 02:03 PM
    Registered

KB,

By my calculations, you would need 26-pitch props with the 2.0 gears. Your RPMs may only get to 4900, but your speed would remain at 55 mph.

Good Luck!
    Old 02-01-2002, 08:56 PM
    Registered

That really sucks KB235 that someone piece of sh!t stoled your out drive. I'v been thinking of getting some of those locks for my out drive and now i'm sure of it. It would really piss me off if that happened to me, and knowing my luck I wouldn't figure it out until I backed it into the water in the middle of summer. I hope the insurance kicks in. I would like to see someone get some benefit from all of the money I pay them.
    Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Bravo III vs. Bravo I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.