Arneson Drives Pros & Cons >

Arneson Drives Pros & Cons

Notices

Arneson Drives Pros & Cons

Old 01-30-2002, 08:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rik: What is the conversion costs from TRS to your set up?

Jon
Old 01-30-2002, 11:10 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jon i woudl assume just the drives. you woudl already have the trannies. Patchup the tansom and mount the arneson to the back. YOu woudl also have to upgrad to full hydraulic steering.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Blueman

RIK
It was a triple with two right and one left rotation with 600 hp. Sharp boat fabao drives. I was looking for something to replace bravos. Triple 47 572 CI 725 HP. I have been watching the Bmax not to much out there. It does not look like the xr upper case & top gear hold up very well. Thanks for all your info.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will not need to patch the transom, as the standoff box covers the holes from the out drive, Bravo, Alfa, TRS, etc.

Full hydraulic steering is included in the kit as is with all Arneson Surface Drives. Every new Arneson Surface Drive comes complete with External Hydraulic Steering and Trim Cylinders. Been that way since the beginning.

As for the boat with Buzzi’s? Maybe they should have tried the propellers turning the other way, one right two left. I don’t want to speculate much on their applications.

We have had triples even four engines in a boat and never had this problem, the old Harley boats were equipped with three sometimes four Caterpillar engines and four out drives. The New 48’ Fountain wide body cruisers are being equipped with three Yanmar Diesels and Arneson’s from the factory. I believe they will have one in the Miami boat show.

The Bravo to Arneson kit will hold up with the power you have, so it is an alternative.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

Rik I would also like to know what the cost is for everthing to install in place of a bravo. 725 H.P. Hp500 Whippled. Also where do you pick up sea water and what would you have to replace so that you would have a low waret pick up?

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Garry ]
Old 01-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Registered

Two questions for RIK
1) What type of linkage is used between the tranny (B/W Velvet Drive) and drive (either dropbox or strait)? Plugin (like TRS, SSM), Flange/short driveline (staggered applications), or other?
2) Any problems using a B/W transmission tailshaft mounted reduction gear/reverse gear connected to a strait drive (no dropbox)?
Gary
Old 01-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will need an external water pickup for your engine and coolers, as the Arneson Surface Drives do not have a water pickup incorporated in them. You merely plumb that into the engines water supply.

We use a driveline; a double cardon short coupled 1380 series to connect between the Velvet Drive Transmission and the drive unit. (This is what is supplied in the kit)

The style of transmission that we use is the flange mount style; Marc Berman from BAM would know if one could be converted to another? I use his transmissions in the kit; they have only a 12 hp loss after he works his magic. The drive uses very little hp as well, so I feel comfortable saying that the Arneson drive with the transmission will have less hp loss than a Bravo.

The gear reduction/drop B/W Velvet drive transmission has a rating that is lower than the non-gear reduction/drop. Huber states that the transmission cannot be upgraded to the same levels, so there is a limit on the amount of power you can use with this style of transmission. I do not know what the hp loss of this style of transmission is either, but it has to be more than the standard 72C due to the fact that there is more stuff in it. More weight also.

BAM has a dyno that can tell the answer, maybe Marc knows?

This is why I use the components that I use in the kit, stronger and simpler.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:52 AM
Blueman

Garry
You might want to look at some external water pickups should be easy. Mine allready have external water pickups. Rik you might be correct try two counter clockwise maybe counter motor torque. I think trips are prone to that lean thing,two turning one direction. Thanks for all the info.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:04 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Blueman,
sounds like you have experienced this type of drive situation
Mobile Scott
Old 01-31-2002, 12:00 PM
Registered

Rik,
I'm not looking for a Bravo conversion. I was considering rerigging from scratch and simplifying it.
What are your thoughts on this? Staggered engines. Counter rotate using the tailstock reduction gear off an upgraded B/W velvet drive. Similar gear ratios are available for normal and counter rotation outputs.
Use an inline ASD6 or 8 without a drop box.
No need to counter rotate the engine since the tailstocks provide that (especially usefull with the ASD8). Reduction is accomplished in the tailstocks too.
Staggered engines should provide a low enough mounting of the drives, with respect to the center of gravity.
A fairly simple, efficient, cost effective setup, especially if converting a staggered engine, trs setup (already got the trannys) on a good rocker hull.
Your thoughts?
Gary

Quick Reply: Arneson Drives Pros & Cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.