Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
back of boat gets black >

back of boat gets black

Notices

back of boat gets black

Old 07-01-2001, 08:44 PM
24outlaw

Default back of boat gets black

after every weekend the back of my boat is exaust resadue, what should i do?????. does not burn any oil. took plastic cover off arrestor still gets black[thought would lean out a bit]

Old 07-01-2001, 09:08 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FSR is this blue gelatin type stuff they sell at west marine itr works pretty well to remove hot water and exhaust stains
Old 07-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Allan4

I have a 24 Outlaw that does the same thing. I keep it waxed and it usually cleans right up after use. Not a big problem though, only small ammount of black.

Old 07-01-2001, 09:31 PM

Outlaw - this is pretty common on boats with integral swim platforms than tap exhaust. My 222 Stinger without platform run as clean as can be, but my brand new 28 Sunsation with a integral platform leaves soot. What I use is Simple Green. We always wipe down the boat as soon as were done and simple green loosens it all right up and we towel it off.

- jeff

Old 07-02-2001, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Outlaw,

Do you have the external flappers instead of the internal ones? I never had black transom until I changed exhaust tips and went to the external ones. It seems that the external flapper has the water splash against it and strike the transom, this combined with the "station wagon effect" of the swim platfrom causes the water to discolor the transom. I think with the internal flappers the exhaust/water mix will exit out of the transom with a little more force and miss the vertical surfaces.

Tim T.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:01 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Carb motor?? Home built?? Could be you're running a little rich. IF it seems to run well and you're not fouling plugs, guess you'll just have to put of with cleaning it.

Mike
Old 07-02-2001, 10:03 AM
Goody76

Get used to it I have been fighting that battle for years until an MSD ignition upgrade which burns a little hotter and reduces on the by-product.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Registered

I have always had black line on the back of my boat too. Since I've been a member of this board, there has been considerable opinions about wasting money on high octane and since the gas prices went to the sky I switched to 87 octane and now I don't get any black at all.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:34 PM
Registered

I agree with waterfowl
Merc Service Bulletin 97-9 for Weber states

Initial idle mixture screw setting 1.25 to 1.5 turns out. 2to3 turns will cause the engine to run too rich at lower RPMs.

I had your problem till I adjusted mine to 1.25 turns (1000' altitude). That reduced the residue by 95%.

I use soft scrub for clean up.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: RickR ]
Old 07-03-2001, 01:05 AM
Registered

You know, I've noticed that as soon as I installed those Halo Drive Showers, the black transom issue went away. Anyone else seen this? I've heard it shoots a ****load of water all over the place.

Quick Reply: back of boat gets black

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.