1977 30' Scarab Hull Stability >

1977 30' Scarab Hull Stability

Notices

1977 30' Scarab Hull Stability

Old 12-31-2003, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

My friend had his 42 MTI listed for sale for a while, but is now keeping it. It was listed for $489k.
2002 model with 575SCi's and BMax drives...

You can maybe find a nice older 30' cat with twin 454/502's for high $50k (and that would include motors).

This would be a far better platform to build a 100mph boat from.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

high $50 with motors could be an attractive option if it had a decent cabin. The stock motors would allow me to get started without killing myself (See other post), and the cabin would make long distance/ overnight trips possible, but the increased cost would delay me some. I was eventually hoping to add things like A/C and whatnot, a Deep V would obviously have the room for this, but I don't know about a cat. I guess I need to find some pictures of their cabins. 100mph even when I have the capability would only be a temporary occurance, due to the engine straign and the heavy fuel use.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Paul,

Please allow me to jump in for a sec. Let's first take a look at what you're trying to do from numbers standpoint... 100mph in a 30-something foot v-bottom will take some juice: 700-800hp, IIIa's or V's, at a minimum, 6's for good reliability. Since you're looking at an older hull, it should be beefed up as well, possibly new tanks, maybe even blueprinting the hull.

So you're looking at $10-15k x2 for power, 25k for drives/gimbals/transom work, (60-70k if you go 6's) 5-6k for transmissions, 6-8k for decent steering, and 20k in misc rigging stuff (you never can tell what creeps up). Then you'll want to paint it (15k) and the Mrs will want the interior/cockpit to look pretty (10k).

So where are we now? We're in the 85k-100k range for a sweet 100mph boat, and one that you've put your heart into.

My point? At this stage in the project, you're trying to save yourself 9k between the 30' scarab hull and the 10-meter hull. This is about 10% of the overall cost of the job, and IMHO, there IS NO comparison between the two. Heck, a simple brainfart somewhere in this project could cost you 9k. ;-)

A good friend of mine had a '88 30' Panther with 365 Mags. and Bravos. It ran 70-72.

I have an '86 10-meter with HP500's and TRS's and I get 80mph. TRS's are power HOGS, so I'd be in the mid 80's with Bravos.

The main difference between the two? One word: re-entry. My Fountain sounds solid as a rock re-entering off of a 6-footer, whereas the Panther had a pretty distinctive hollow thud pounding into the waves. This likely has to do with the major differences in hull construction that has been discussed above. The bonded deck-to-hull joint is a major structural advantage, too. My friend sold his Panther soon after I bought my Fountain, and is now looking for a more solid ride, probably a 35 Cafe Cig. Now those are decent hulls, but with the added weight, you'll need 1000SC's to get you to 100mph (just a guess).

Your other choice, take that 85-100k and find yourself a mid-'90's 35 Lightning here on the board. You could be heading to the Bahamas in it tomorrow, vs the year or three it could take you to put one together yourself.

In either case, post pictures! We all enjoy seeing projects happening, or guys showing off their new rides.

Good luck,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 12-31-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:35 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

just though, think about resale. will you ever be able to sell your 100k 100mph 25 year old boat for anywhere near what you put into it? doubtful.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:16 PM
Registered

The resale value is a valid point, but part of it is the challenge, and knowing it's done right. My current boat is in less than perfect condition see "flipping boats ? high speed turns" - I would hate to get a hull that's high performance and has great powerplants but a screwed up electrical system or whatnot. The other advantage is I can do it in stages. I pay for everything cash, so doing some here and some there has it's advantages. I could get the drives and the engines and put on the blowers later. The cabin could be done much later, since it's not the highest priority (for the sort term). Painting would be done long after everything else., it doesn't matter what someone thinks of your boat if they're behind it. I would rather invest more in drives and engines, and less in the paint and interior. I DO need a functional cabin, but not an ornate one.

Right now I have around $10k to spend in addition to whatever I make on the sale of my Chris-Craft, So either way it'd be three years for me to have my 100mph boat. (So I'll have between $20k and $30k for stage 1)

Resale value is a good point, but with any luck I will have this boat 10+ years (wife won't let me get a new one for at least that long), so by then I wouldhave gotten most of my money's worth out of it.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-03-2004, 02:15 PM
scarabman34

A 100 Mph is achievable with any scarab hull. Just will take more Hp. Just make enough Hp and that solves anything. The other question is, do you want to do 100 in a 30 foot scarab? I know I would. Hell, I would strap a big block to 16 foot starcraft and give it a whirl. I wouldn't't recommend it though. If your set on a 30'scarab I would try to find a newer one like a panther. the 10 meter fountain is also a good hull. Its just a "reggied up" old Excalibur. They are both time provend hulls.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahahaha "Reggied up" ROFLMAO! Reminds me of the posts about the evolution of boats...Caveman named " OG", jumps on floating tree....... Someone else cuts off limbs.. Less drag... notices tree goes faster.... names floater, Later-OG.... or .. .LOG . hahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 01-10-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Registered

PaulR,

If you lose interest in the Fountain plz let me know. I would be interested in it.
Speaking of which, I know where there is a 35 Mistress that is as strait as an arrow, just needs power and drives. It's at Banyan Bay Marina in Lauderdale.

Bryan
Old 01-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lucky strike
30' Scarab II
lucky strike

man thouse are GREAT photos post more.
Did you notice that the trees in the back ground got bigger but your neighbor never got rid of there tank?
Paul yes if you do not go for the fountain it would be great to share a photo and info on it so someone else can build a good HOT ROD.
Brian talk to us about the MISTRESS. Man that might be right up my alley. Rag's
Old 01-12-2004, 12:01 AM
mshea

Hey Paul - if you're open to a Fountain 10-Meter Executioner, the '84 (250 original hull hours, '89 factory cosmetics) I've been seeking repowering advice on has 0-hours on her set of rebuilt SSMII's ($8k invested with receipts). The 454/500 hp's are in dubious shape but with only 25ish hours on them, they have lots of good gear that could be transfered to 502's/540's. She ran a strong, smooth 75 mph on flat fresh water rigged that way. The 3x axle aluminum trailer has never even been titled (2000?). Bottom line, with new engines and minor TLC, the boat is very respectable and you could be in the water and overnighting within weeks, not years.

I'm ASKING only $20k NOW because I genuinely don't have the time or inclination to use her once the 502/500hp repowering is completed. I'd like her to go to a good home. She's presently awaiting engines in Storm King, NY.

Anyone???? I'm willing to listen to reasonable offers just to not have to poor more money into something I can't enjoy.

e-mail me privately at [email protected] or call 914.473.3014.

Quick Reply: 1977 30' Scarab Hull Stability

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.