OBD II Sofware >

OBD II Sofware

Notices

OBD II Sofware

Old 01-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II Sofware

I am looking for the software & the cable you use to connect your lap top to cars or trucks to find out what is wrong with them.
Has anyone tried them & had good luck with it.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I have been an auto mechanic for too many years to admit to. I use scanners for repair everyday. I have never seen a laptap used to diagnose cars. I have seen them for Diesel trucks, but not cars. I use a Tech II for G.M., a D.R.B. III for Chrysler, Next Generation Star tester for Fords. But, if you want one that does pretty well for all brands, go with the Snap-On MT 2500. You can't beat it for the price.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

OTC makes a scan module for a PDA. It costs about $350. Mac Tools has a nice Global OBDII tester for $420. A full function scanner will cost at least $2500. If you find a used one check into the cost of updating it. Factor that into the price to see if it is a good deal. The updates for the Snap-on testers are not cheap. Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Registered

Turbojack,

What is your purpose? Do you want to scan for codes, or do you want to alter the computer's programming. For which make and model.

Most cars will tell you the codes automatically without any tools. Some by flashing a check engine light, others will spell it accross an LCD on the dash.

If you want to change the programming, you will need a computer. However, some cars require you to burn a new chip with every change. Others allow you to make changes on the fly. It all depends. LS1 Edit is a software package that works great for GM vehicles.

Steve
Old 01-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

The main reason is to see what is problem with our trucks. We have a fleet of trucks & whenever the check engine light comes on we take it in to the shop. In my going thru repair bills I am being charged mega dollars to check codes, then mega dollars to replace a simple sensor. I have guys that can replace O2 sensors, map sensors, & etc. in less time & for less $ then what I am being charged.

I do not care to change programming. Fleet of trucks consists of chev's & fords, all sizes & engines.

I know about the flashing lights but I thought it would be easier to just plug in tool, & read what it says.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Harbor Freight has an OBDII reader for under $40. But it only tells the number, no sensor readings/voltages/etc. You can look up the number code on the internet or in a manual. Most vehicle repair manuals will walk you through a flow chart of what to check/replace based on that code.
Gary (the cheap garage mechanic)
Old 01-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Registered

I agree with Gary. It sounds like you need just a simple OBD II code reader. Try a local auto shop. Autozone has them. In fact, Autozone will even read the codes for you for free and then hand you the part you need. The repair manuals for GM are about $75. I am not sure what they are for Fords and Dodge but I would assume they are comparable.

Steve
Old 01-08-2004, 05:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I would love to see AutoZone simply read a code and hand you a part that will fix the problem. These type of problems are just not cut and dry like that. If you get a code for a lean O2 sensor, it doesn't mean the O2 sensor is the problem..
Old 01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Registered

Checkmate454Mag,you got that right!A lean O2 could have nothing to do with anything.Hell,the washer fluid might be low!lol It's not ANYTHING like the old days.Now that I know you're a wrench,I'll look forward to talking to you about the HP.BOB
Old 01-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Autotap has great software for reading OBDll codes, but if want to reprogram you will need LS1 edit for 2000 up or see Ed Wright-Fastchip in Oklahoma for 96 to 99 vortec OBDll reprogramming.
Good Luck!
Raylar