Transom Assy Removal >

Transom Assy Removal

Notices

Transom Assy Removal

Old 01-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom Assy Removal

Ok, this is my first time. Drives are Bravo's. Boat has drive shafts, so once they are removed, what steps do I take? Any tricks or special tools?
Same for installation.

thanks
Shawn
Old 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Transom

Shawn,
If you have drive shafts in your boat you should be able to remove the shafts and leave the engines in, correct? If thats the case you should remove the drives first, then the driveshafts. Once thats done disconnect the trim hoses from the trim pumps and the shift cables from the engines or remote shift brackets. Next will be the Mercathode wires from the blue Mercathode boxes on the engines. Third should be the drive resevoir bottles.Once all those are done, the only thing left should be to remove the 8 bolts on the inside of the transom. Then it should be loose, the sealer might hold it but it should come off.Before you try to remove the assembly take the inner plate off and set it aside.
If you have any questions or need any info feel free to call me or email me.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Pwrbt33- John S.
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
Old 01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, the engines also have to come out. The inner transom plate is used as a oversized washer for the assembly. It also serves as the rear motor mount.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

The inner plate can be removed without yanking the engine. I've done it, Ragtop409 has done it, Tinkerboater has done it. If you wanna know how, shoot me a private message.

When you say drive shafts, do you mean that your motors are stagered or are forward in the boat requiring a jack shaft of some kind? If this is true, removing the transom plate is easy.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

The motors do not need to be removed, they use jack shafts and are set forward.

John, thanks I really needed the info you gave me. Step by step helps us novices.

thanks

Shawn
Old 01-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shawn,
No problem. Like I said, if you need anymore help feel free to call me or shoot me an email.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
410-827-0200 x-1
Old 01-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered

Shawn What are you into now? Remove the steering and tie bar. I favor a 12lb mall, but make sure you have one with a short handle
Old 01-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Registered

Hey Michael,
bet you wish you had gone to Fla now.

I have up and down play in one of my drives. I think the upper pin has worn the gimble ring, but won't know what I need for sure until I remove it.

I am planning on installing a porto potty in the spring too. I have the tabs and need to machine a little off to make them fit and them make the tab. Is your tab
40" X 24"? How much did you trim down the outer edges to clear the drives? I am planning on using .500 alum the same as Dana.

Stay warm

Shawn
Old 01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

Shawn I still am still planning on FLA we will see. I don't remember how much I tapered the back of the tab. I did make a whole new bottom plate as Dana's hinge made that possible. I think my plate is 42''x 24'' Just turn the drives fully one way and measure how much clearance you need with a square be sure and allow for tilt up. 1/2'' sure is plenty heavy enough. You could use 3/8'' with no worry. Let me know how it goes
Old 01-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

Hey Shawn maybe if your gimble ring in not cracked you couls have it machined for a bronze bushing?

Quick Reply: Transom Assy Removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.