BBC with TRS:  Starter Help Needed >

BBC with TRS: Starter Help Needed

Notices

BBC with TRS: Starter Help Needed

Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt starters

I found a local rebuild shop that turned my old starter into a new one for about $75. I was a little worried they would not recognize it as a marine starter. As soon as I set it on the counter the guy says "hey, that's a reverse rotation marine starter. It will take me 1 day to get the right rebuild kit here and I'll have it done in 2 days". This was the kind of place that most of the auto parts stores and truck stops send their starters, alternators, etc. to be rebuilt.

I had 2 starters and 2 alternators rebuilt for about $300. I thought that was a pretty good deal and it should give me 4 less things to worry about going wrong.

Doug
Old 01-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Registered

I've got a local shop here that does them for me, marine-approved.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Registered

Eddie Marine new ones at a reasonable price but still not cheep. They are Delco brand.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fix starters and alternators myself. If you can get the right parts, and have someone willing to sell you them they're not too complicated. Many parts interchange with automotive. It kills me though when I put the right starter on someones motor and end up with a low torque automotive unit as a core. BBB
Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
force 320

I have 2 brand new starters from eddie marine that I ended up not using. Check the clasifieds here. Also check that the flywheel ring gear is mounted corectly, ( bevaled teeth twards rear of engine

Old 02-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Merc has a new gear reduction top mount starter that turns the motor over faster, uses less amperage, and weights less.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:58 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Big block Billy:

I am in the electrical biz myself, have seen it all. My favorite is when a customer will not admit that it is a marine unit. Afraid that it will cost them more if they are truthful!

Marinetrans:

Do you have a part number for that new Merc starter?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Registered

Steve H <
I hear you loud and clear. I'ts getting tougher and tougher for me to make money building and installing engines and even repairs are not making me the money I should get. Everyone cries poverty with a loaf of bread in each arm ! When I rebuild a stock mercruiser V8 for someone and then have to shell out $140 for a starter and then another $140 for an alternator, in their eyes I'm charging $280 and making that money! I was referred by a friend to fix a 454 in a 21' Liberator. Motor sucked salt water up port exhaust, and needed a valve seat and a valve job. After putting the top end back together and installing stainless marine shutters in the exh. hoses, the motor would not crank very well. The batteries were fully charged and no rust was in the cylinders. After doing the work the customer did not want to go for a starter so I told him that I had got a good deal on a rebuild on ebay for $80. He still himmed and hawed. I wanted to get paid and be done with it. I told him I'd put in in for free. Basically after being done , the starter I removed was a piece of $h!t low torque 350, parts store special ! He was surprised how the motor cranked so fast and strong and started so quickly. He said it never was like that. Of course not . He probably cheaped out and put the crappy starter on it when his brother installed the motor that was rebuilt by another a-hole who is now out of business. Thanks for your reply BBB
Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

Oh BTW! My conscience will not allow me to install a non- marine unit in a boat. I'm probably protecting myself of any possible law suits for negligence too !
Explosions and fires are rare, but do happen when safety is ignored and the conditions exist to allow it.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Registered

The part# is 50-808011a4. We used a couple on a 38 Sutphen with a Kaama set-up, Gen 4 motors.