Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle >

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Notices

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Old 01-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marcs right, its better to have the right flow to the cooler. After a hard run when your idling the trans flow to the cooler is low. So its better keeping the pump's mass. I quess what happens is the oil bypasses between the pump, plate and rev/fwd. adaptor pump face when its hot on the shaved pumps? Am i right Marc?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Not so much that it bypasses in the pump, but the cut pump has less displacement. The flow is diverted to the cooler once the pressure regulator starts to open, and with less displacement there is not enough pressure/flow at idle to open the regulator. We run the fluid through a clear lexan block on our trans dyno so we can really see what happens.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

That makes plenty of sense Marc. I got a question for you. It seems like the 2.10:1 71 and 72c has very little flow to the cooler a idle. Is this because the oil from the cooler returns onto the rear planetary and not to the usual place? We noticed it on every test run in our dyno stand with the 2.10.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Default 3 VS 4 blade on TRS

When I boat on Lake Michigan (about half the time) I switch out my 25 Mirage 3 blades for the 26 Bravo 1 4 blades. When things get a little lumpy on Lake MI I would have top be on and off the throttles with the 3 blades, but with the four I stay hooked up.
I would think a constant load is better than unloading and reloading of the drive , no?
It's really not much of an issue with my current under 450 HP engines going thru the TRS.
By the way I loose 3mph and 400 RPM with the Bravo 1s
(obviously overpropped).
DS
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DS,

Sounds like a 24 bravo 1 might be worth a try?? Should be an easy size to borrow. I see your your point about loading and unloading the drive. I've also heard the arguement that the 4 blade has less vibration along with less cavitation which is better for the drive, but I was thinking more for those times in rouph water when the prop breaks loose and your not quick enouph on the stick - that re-entry in a high hp situation would be gentler with the three blades.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Registered

Well, now we've moved this to a prop discussion. But YES, Zanie; I have also experienced that a Mirage on a TRS will give you the best GPS reading under "ideal" conditions. It took Mike Spinelli four trys to get one of his 4 blades to get to the Mirage speed. But when he got done, it was about 1/2 to 1 MPH faster and performed far better in all other areas. And yes, loading and unloading will kill drive systems. --- Jer
Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

ok, back to the drive itself. Is "Cryo-treated" just a fancy word for heat treated?? Guys in my area have told me they've had bad experiences with this route in the trs - that heat treating can make the gears too brittle so they just break easier?? better to just let them wear?? JP??
Old 01-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Registered

NO!! Actually it's a controlled time/temp freeze down to as close to "absolute zero" as is possible in the liquid nitrogen chamber and then a transfer to oven during the warm up process to heat to a specified high temp and back to room temp. I'm over simplifying here but I've got to believe that anyone who had a "bad experience" with cryo-treating didn't get REAL cryo-treating. The guys that do the REAL process have some VERY expensive equipment and are not heating and quenching your parts with a torch in the back yard. (which, of course WILL make them very brittle). --- Jer
Old 01-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thats what I wanted to hear. Neither of them refered to it as "cryo", just heat treated, and went through this about 10+ years ago with thier race boats. They finally gave up and went to bravos which had only been out a few years (without much better luck). I've still got to rebuild the trs I blew to use as a spare, so I'll go that route with the lower gears. Thanks.....
Old 01-31-2004, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Lookup www.diversifiedcryogenics.com

They have a pretty cool website that explains the process pretty well. You can send them your gears and shafts for treatment. It is pretty reasonable, $5.00/pound with a 20 pound minimum of something like that.

I have been told by John at Doller that all the new replacement gears from Merc are now Cryo treated from the factory.

Kurt.

Quick Reply: Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.