Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nosecones...Are they worth it? >

Nosecones...Are they worth it?

Notices

Nosecones...Are they worth it?

Old 01-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Nosecones...Are they worth it?

I put a Hydromotive nosecone on my OMC Cobra drive a couple of years ago. Can't say I saw (or felt) any difference. But then again, my boat is only in the low 60's. Did I waste my time?
Attached Thumbnails Nosecones...Are they worth it?-outdrive3.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I lost 1-2 mph with nose cones. I think it really isn't needed unless you get into higher speeds where prop blow out is a concern.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

On a 90mph drag outboard, I lost 2 boat lengths on holeshot and was still picking up speed thru the traps.

Took the cone back off and picked up all that had been lost. I added it to an XR4 2:1 gearcase for dragging, but couldn't keep water pressure up. After the bad cone episode, I ground "tracks" in the sides of the case to lift the water to the pickups. Got my speed back and got my water pressure back.

Got real mixed feelings on cones...
Old 01-25-2004, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After running the same boat with and without nosecones with various power I have concluded on my own experience that it depends on the hull. If your hull likes stern lift and carries the bow very well with little positive trim you may gain something. If you have trouble carrying the bow and stern lift forces the bow down you will probably lose speed. My hull has hooks in it (they are coming out this winter) and the bow does not carry well above 60 the nose cones added stern lift and caused the bow to sink as speed increased. On occasion with the right chop and wind it would pop up and carry until conditions let it drop I did see some gain. Sort of like a teeter todder. May not be hurting you at 60. Steering seemed as it it had more of a tendency to grab in hard turns.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You do not want them as I understand with Bravo's unless you are going over 75-80 and TRS drives if you are going 80-85. Anything slower you will likely loose speed by putting them on.

Jon
Old 01-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On an Eliminator 28" Daytona with Bravos, the cones started making a difference about 85 mph. We had one drive with a cone and one without running at the same time. By 90 mph, the throttles were pretty far apart and the drive without the cone was gaining a ton of rpm compared to the one with the cone.

Below 85, both drives ran about the same.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I have the cone on an OMC Cobra drive, which I'm sure you guys aren't using. Unfortunately, when I put the cone on, it was with the old engine which was slowly dying, so I couldn't tell if it made any change. I have noticed with the new engine, that I do tend to run a lot of positive trim. Actually, the engine story would be a good one. I'll have to post it one day. How hard is it to get the cones off??
Old 01-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Registered

Just removed two; one welded -- one just epoxied. The welded one was actually easier cause it was only tacked and a die grinder took care of that -- then WHACK and it's off. For the full epoxy installation, you gotta use heat and then WHACK. --- Jer
Old 01-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Sledge hamma.

Not a baby tap, BIIG smack.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Sledge hamma.

Not a baby tap, BIIG smack.
Yeah, a big ole whack!

I heated mine with a torch just to get the epoxy a little soft, the whackaroo. I had both of them off in about 10 minutes. An added benefit later was the left over epoxy filled in some of the pit marks that were under there.

Quick Reply: Nosecones...Are they worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.