Engine Water and Oil Cooler Plumbing >

Engine Water and Oil Cooler Plumbing

Notices

Engine Water and Oil Cooler Plumbing

Old 01-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Water and Oil Cooler Plumbing

I'm getting ready to install my 540's and the main components I still need to get are oil coolers. The new engines made nearly 700hp on the dyno, so the original coolers from the 330hp/454's are probably insufficient. Can anyone make any recommendations as to what size coolers I need and where a good place to get them would be.

Also, I will need coolers for my Velver Drive tranny's too. I am currently having them rebuilt with additional clutches etc to inclrease their torque capacity. What size cooler would I need for those?

Do I need a power steering fluid cooler? I am currently running the factory original internal powersteering. The stock setup didn't have a p/s cooler.

In general, what is the typical method for plumbing these coolers? All I have plumbed at this point is the intake hoses from the transom mounted pickups and ball valves to the sea strainers. I used Teague stainless push-on fitting and Shields 250 hose.

From the sea strainers the water is plumbed to the sea water pump, then through the oil coolers then to the engine crossover. Then water is routed from the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifolds and risers (Stainless Marine). Is this correct? Does it matter which order the oil coolers are plumned, i.e. engine oil cooler, then tranny fluid cooler, then p/s cooler, then to the engine?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your engines supercharged? Try the original coolers and see what the oil temps are... You want your oil to get up to at least 200 degrees... even up to 240 on full throttle runs.... but DO NOT put on a huge 4" X 24"double pass oil cooler that Teague sells.... I had them on my boat and I could never get any oil temp... I had to plumb the water from the manifolds through them first and then into the engine to even hit 200 degrees.Oil reaches it's best "lubricity" at 200 degrees. Even on full boost for a long time the oil never got above 70 degrees with those huge coolers.. I would suggest " sea strainer, raw water pump, engine oil cooler first. Tranny and power steering combo cooler next.. then crossover. Thermostat outlet to manifolds to tail pipes and exit. You probably are running a 12" x 2" cooler now... if it is too small... try a longer one 14" maybe.If your oil doesn't come close to the boiling point of water... your oil will become contaminated with moisture and begin to get sludgey.

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 01-28-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

No, my engines are NA. I know what you're talking about with regards to the ideal engine oil operating range, I was hoping someone with similar power/displacement could recommend a specific size/brand engine oil and tranny fluid coolers so I don't have to go throught the trial and error that you did.

The original engine oil coolers are trashed.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Oil reaches it's best "lubricity" at 200 degrees.

Do you have any sources you could point me towards for further reading on this subject?

Dave
Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Registered

hmmmm.... you could go to the SAE site... or API site...
Old 01-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of coolers do you have? On my old 400trs I had bellhousing coolers for oil and trans.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Your 330 oil coolers incorporated the power steering cooler with the oil cooler. You will still need a power steering cooler.
The 330 oil coolers are very small so dont get new ones that size. The merc 500hp cooler is a good size one and easy to find.
The original tranny coolers should be fine. Check with the shop that's upgrading them though.
Plumbing order is probably not that critical. The tranny will probably run the hottest, so I like to run water through it first. On a practical note, the tranny iol ports are on the starboard side of the engine, engine oil filter pad on the port, which makes it easier to plumb pump, to tranny cooler, to engine oil cooler, to water inlet. Note: the coolers are MUCH more efficient if you plumb them with oil flow opposite to the direction of the water flow though.
Gary
Old 01-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Registered

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

No problem. BTW, I love that twin turbo vette. I've got a 68' convertible myself. Only a 350 in it though.
Gary
Old 01-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Registered

Those are some good suggestions Gary.

Quick Reply: Engine Water and Oil Cooler Plumbing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.