Closed cooling???

Notices

Closed cooling???

Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Closed cooling???

Who's running it? Is it worth the effort if you run your boat in salt and fresh water???
Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my 20 footer with a 350. It's definelty worth it in salt water, everything last much longer and you can regulate engine temps better. If an engine has already been in salt, it's not so good.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered

I'm running it, came on the boat when I purchased. Not sure of the cost, but I like the whole concept. It is amazing marine engines last as well as they do with the constant cold water being dumped into the water jackets. Only problem I've had, and not sure it is caused by the cc, is high oil temps. Engine water temps are good, it has been oil temp problems all along. Hopefully I have that solved now with larger coolers and blocked bypass valves.

Dave
Old 02-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I have the factory Mercruiser system. I couldn't be happier with it. No problems at all. I would not think of running a boat in the salt without it. BUT, you still have to flush out the raw water side every time you use it to protect everything.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

What temp tstats are you running checkmate?

Dave
Old 02-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

just installed a CC on a SBC cost $400. Installed a 180 themostat. I run fresh water only. JIM
Old 02-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Looks like the cost is about $600
Old 02-03-2004, 09:57 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

BT,

My motor is MPI, I am running a 170* t-stat. The same as it would be if it were raw water cooled. I have never seen the temps get hot even after a good run.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

On motors that are producing more horsepower than they came from the factory, I'd at least run a 160deg. T-stat. I'd also raw water cool the manifolds. I feel that a good seawater pump with a thru-hull fitting is a necessity. Anyway I had experimented with a closed system on a slightly worked 454 mag motor. I ended up cooking the motor because the south bay strainer's holes were too big and the oil cooler got plugged with seaweed. I ended up building another motor without the freshwater cooling system. Also got a better strainer and even installed a Groco basket strainer in the boat. I flush every time with a Perko flushpro. No problems for 2 seasons.I also believe my Jabsco bronze seawater pump is worth the $250 it cost me. Even if you run in freshwater it's still a good idea to flush because of organisms and marine life that can plug up manifolds and wreac havoc! I would only run a 140deg. t-stat in salt water because the salt can crystalize at higher temps, and accelerate corrosion.
BBB

Last edited by Big Block Billy; 02-06-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Oh B.T.W.
According to Dennis Moore's books, higher oil temps can be good! Many motors have oil that does not get hot enough to remove condensation, and reach its intended viscosity. Dennis is the man !!! BBB

Quick Reply: Closed cooling???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.