K-Planes angled or level? >

K-Planes angled or level?

Notices

K-Planes angled or level?

Old 02-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K-Planes angled or level?

I've seen some boats with level k-planes(some race boats and a laveycraft), what is the pros and cons of this approach.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My theory is... If the k-planes are level... they move up and down vertically ... where as a k-plane mounted at the same angle as the dead rise moves slightly outboard when it is placed in the down position. When it comes to a lot of things on the transom .. Herbert... you will see and hear a lot of contradictory statements... I read one article in "Poker Runs America" that outdrives should be set .."toe out". I read another article in "Powerboat" magazine that said outdrives should be set "toe in". Go figure. Some people insist that propellor rotation should be "out". Others insist it should be "in". Now.. to get back to the subject of k-planes.... my personal thinking is that when the boat is first moving from a standing stop and the transom is sitting deep in the water... the level k-planes will give the transom upward movement without making as much drag because the planes are not making the stern any wider. But I also think that at speed (when the boat is on plane) they are less effective. I've asked the representatives at boat shows about the placement of k-planes.... and why some are level and some are not... and most of the time I am answered with a "shoulder shrug". When I read in forums about how people set up their boats and equipment... it reminds me of racers setting up their cars.... each has their own preferences... for track and car. Want to get down to the real nitty-gritty... talk to oval racers about "tire stagger". All the differences on how the k-planes are installed amounts to hull shape and owner preferences. All this stuff is "subjective". One set up works well on one boat... not on another. The only advantage is if you get any of this stuff wrong... you just go slower... or the boat doesn't handle like you want... you don't hit the wall at 220 mph like the oval racers.