skeg guard

Old 02-06-2004, 04:01 PM
jeff bratton

Default skeg guard

How much do Skeg Guards slow you down? Thanks In advance

Old 02-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to consider about the skeg guard. It's made of stainless, needless to say stronger than aluminum. If the Skeg, with a skeg guard, had a hard impact with something there is the possibility that the Lower unit could be destroyed.

It's similar to running a prop with a solid hub; a hard impact with the solid hub prop and the prop shaft could bend or break.

The Skeg guard is not much cheaper than a new skeg.

As far as speed loss, we don't have any customers I know of who have a Skeg Guard, so I couldn't tell you.

Matt

Last edited by throttleup; 02-06-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be like putting a curb feeler on your car
Old 02-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I trashed my skeg in an unfortunate shallow water incident. To have a new one welded on wasn't too costly (I don't recall exactly but must have been in the 75 - 125 dollar range?). Once primered and painted, couldn't tell it had ever been replaced.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Registered

I just pulled off 2 skeg guards of a pair off fairly new Alpha ones and the 2 different metal combos just about ruined the housings. HUGE pits. The props were also pitted bad (almun.). We may end up replacing the housings if we can't weld them up properly. Too much corrosion. Everyone else in the slips around him are fine.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you just going for more shine on the drives or did you already drag bottom with the new boat?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Registered

I have them on both my drives. No speed loss at all.
Look pretty good to.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM
jeff bratton

they were already on the boat, they put them on when the boat was new. they got sum kind of funki bolts holding them on, im not sure how to remove them, yet.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Registered

I have a pair of them that came on my TRS drives when I bought my boat....I removed them fixed existing skegs painted drives and now have 2 skeg guards for sale....$35 each to your door or $60 for the pair to your door....Fred
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Registered

Default I invented the skeg guard

yep,I was sitting up late one night and could not sleep,sat at the kitchen table and drew it out and called it she SKEG -Guard, The only difference is mine did not have the fin or stabalizer on the bottom and it was going to be applied using the same material they use on chevy or gmc truck door hinges,NO BOLTS and the price was 99.00 I still have the drawings.

long story short I went to a convention and opened my mouth and the next thing I knew the skeg guard was being advertised in a major magazine No patten rights so I gofed on that but life goes on ,as far as it slowing you down ,I don't think nor have I heard any complaints from my customers about speed loss.The thing is where the guard stops up near the bullet on the housing is where it would break off,leanving about a 1" or so from the bullet.

we weld sever skegs on and they are great until they hit something hard the aluminum is just brittle and porious.so it will never be as strong as new once repaired no mater what.

marinetrans ,your sounds like electrolays is gettingt to your drives,I would fill the pits with fiberglass resin and bondo and refinsh them and put some skeg guards on ,why guards the aluminum is full of electroyalis or something like that ,I guarantee they wont weld worth a xhit./good luck,Darin

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 02-09-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: skeg guard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.