Merc Oil Filter Study >

Merc Oil Filter Study

Notices

Merc Oil Filter Study

Old 02-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by formula31
Good Job BT and Grease. Heck, you should have waited, we could have gotten case quantities. I have always assumed the 1218 had a bypass valve too. So what happens if the engine bypass is plugged and the filter has no bypass and gets plugged? Oil pressure drops? Is the oil pressure sender downstream of the remote stuff or before it? if the pressure drops, maybe its better to have filter without a bypass, at least you know. Im still out on the whole block bypass thing anyway.
A lot of people thought the same as us F31. Two seperatte people specifically told me thats the way it was with the bypass. One is the freindly Napa counter guy and the other is actually a hydraulics sales engineer that works for a hydraulics supply house I buy power units from. He should know better! Wait till I get my hands on him

Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting....keep up the good work!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Grease

I'm glad you liked it. I am inclined to add the long canister Merc racing to the tests as well. When I googled and found your forum and saw you were discussing oil filters on your rigs AND many of you use the PF1218, you would like to see what we had done.

When you guys blow by me on the Ohio river in Cinn with my 220HP V6 I'll be thinking about you

Take care, I'll check back from time to time and also post when the new filters are on-line.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Take care, I'll check back from time to time and also post when the new filters are on-line. [/B][/QUOTE]

Be sure you do, and thanks again

Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Registered

Is there a difference in the Fram PH5 and The HP6?
Also does someone make a replacement for that filter?

Scott
Old 02-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Grease

Originally posted by 22Pachanga
Is there a difference in the Fram PH5 and The HP6?
Also does someone make a replacement for that filter?

Scott
Not very familiar with the HP6, but a WIX 51222R (racing) is the WIX replacement.

The PH5 does not have by-pass and the HP6 does. It appears that the gasket is quite different between the two.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Great information, Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: Merc Oil Filter Study

In my humble and only slightly biased opinion NO paper element filter should be used in a marine application, only a full synthetic filter or a washable screen type. Just traces of water from condensation, typical of the intermitant use of a boat engine, is enough to shut down all filter flow. If you have a bypass in the filter or in the oil adapter you will never even notice that it has happened.

-Greg
Old 06-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

While we are on the topic of filters what does everyone think of the "FilterMag" products? Seems like a good idea. Almost too good to be true. Have you anythoughts on them?

BH

http://www.filtermag.com
Old 06-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Grease. I heard that Honda OEM oil filters were very well engineered. I know there is probably no application for Merc products but was interested in your take on this filter anyways and if there are oil filters that have this type setup or are all filters similar to this? Maybe it is not all that special I don't know. But I know it was derived from testing on the NSX and then the technology shared by the company to other vehicles if not all. Here is what Honda says about the filter:

"The Honda OEM filter has an "extra check valve" in it which stops any oil from flowing into the filter until there is oil pressure in the system sufficient enough to overcome this check valve. What this does is to allow oil to bypass the filter and get to the important parts of the engine more quickly, especially on cold startups".

DO other filters have this "extra check valve" too?