Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Top 10 Newbie Mistakes >

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Notices

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Old 02-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Kent Perroux

If you are waiting in line at the ramp, don't act like a smart@#$ and ridicule anyone that is having problems (newbies) just offer to help. You never know; he could be the one that offers you a tow later.

Bilge plug (never can say that one enough times). It realy sucks to have to jump into a lake filled with hungry gators to keep your boat from sinking.

Don't skimp on parts; that one will break when you are going through a tight inlet while the tide is chaning.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If your running in rough water
and you "get some air", back off the
throttles before you re-enter the water"

you should be backing off before you leave the water!
Old 02-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by TOMMY HIWAVE
DID NOT KNOW ABOUT NEVER STARTING ENG. W/ DRIVES UP...
That IS a very good tip that Joe/Audacity gave. Come to think of it, I see MANY people, after backing their boat into the water start their engine(s) with the drive(s) up. I was told starting an engine with the drives up even though it's in neutral is very hard on the the U-JOINTS. What's even harder on parts is when folks even put them IN GEAR with the drives up too. I've done it myself and is EASY to forget!

It's very easy to become distracted and lose your focus at the boat launch because there are so many little chain of event items that need to happen in such a short period of time. I always try to go by memory, but a CHECK LIST like "Fightclub" has suggested is a very good/wise idea.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally posted by KAAMA
It's very easy to become distracted and lose your focus at the boat launch because there are so many little chain of event items that need to happen in such a short period of time. I always try to go by memory, but a CHECK LIST like "Fightclub" has suggested is a very good/wise idea.
Ya, very distracted when there are 3 or 4 bikinis on dock next to you.
Ok here's my summary.
1. Load your stuff before entering the ramp. Throw some tools in. At least a screw driver and visegrips.

2. Make sure the plug is in. I still get burned by this every once in while, when distracted (above)

3. Don't unhook the boat until it is in the water. Ever see a nice boat sitting on the cement ramp, with 30 people in line to load or unload. You don't want to be that guy.

4. DON'T tie up the dock/ramp. Don't tie up your boat and block the ramp, go park your truck, take a leak, jerk off, etc and then get in your boat to have fun, because you just pissed off everyone at the boat launch. And guess what, if you break down and need a tow, do you think they are going to help. If you have a wife/girlfriend, teach them to either unload/load the boat, or backup the trailer. They aren't as dumb as some guy's think.

Did I mention, put the plug in. If you do step 4. your boat will be sinking. Serves them right.

5. Undocking/docking, As a friend of mine put it, you just want to control the boat floating. When things get tight, NEUTRAL IS YOUR FRIEND. This is a very common big boat statement

6. Anything can go wrong on the water, but watch out for mother nature, she's a *****. Last year at the lake we frequent, a storm came a long and everyone was trying to load at the same time, fishing, pontoon, speed, jet skis. I left the dock to go hide and was out in 5-6 ft across the bay to get to a cove. Wouldn't want to do that in a 20ft boat.
A 21ft cheetah was idling down the channel to the boat ramp and the wind flipped the boat over and 2 kids were in the cabin and drowned. I don't think those people will ever go boating again.

Sorry this is so long, just trying to help!
Old 02-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a newbie as well at performance boats as of '02.

Big investment, so suggest you pick up charts of the water you're going to be in and make sure you have a good depth sounder that works {if there is one}. Might help save an out drive. Not a "sure thing" but will help.

Also get a vhf and gps and learn how to use them.

Like was mentioned in previous posts, don't be a jerk at the launch. Not much pizzes a boater off more than lack of consideration for other boaters at the launch.

You are responsible for the safety of your passengers and other boaters as well. Regardless of what your passengers say or do, take it real easy on the "hooch". I don't want to come off as a wimp here, but a go fast can be a lot to handle and you need to be aware of everything going with your boat and what's around you. Plus, you can really embarass yourself trying to dock your boat if you're half crocked.

Above all....GO FAST AND HAVE SOME FUN !!!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by force 320
set up a lawn chair at the launch ramp for 3 or 4 hrs and watch the show. Its the best free comic show around, and learn form others mistakes.

Don't expect a new boat or engine package to run flawlessly on the first few trips, (ask me how I know)
Roflmao.... I've done that... I rode my bicycle down to the launch ramp in Marina Del Rey one Sunday afternoon... I about died laughing... Coasties towed in a small outboard boat... couldn't have been any longer than 16'..... must have had at least 12 people in it... women.. children... even a Chihuahua.... no vests... no safety equipment.. and was barely inches from sinking... these idiots thought they were going to go out for an afternoon on Santa Monica Bay.... The best part was not a single person spoke English... and the Coastie didn't speak Spanish... He was getting quite demonstrative ... waving his arms about.. and gesturing... finally someone came over and translated for this party of idiots about how near they all came to drowning... too funny... could not have been funnier if it had been scripted... luckily no one was injured or killed.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

There is always some idiot that does things with tragic concequences....Less than one mile from shore are some huge floats for the oil tankers to moor as they offload crude oil to a refinery in El Sugundo... One evening some guy had been out boating late and had his entire family on board.... Piloting his boat at full speed in a dark moonless night he ran into one of these floats... only one in three has a flashing light beacon... and these things are huge... they hold the mooring cables out of the water for oil tankers to tie to. Be aware of any obstructions... check charts and maps... The floats are clearly marked on all fishing and navigation maps... but this guy didn't check charts.. was just navigating by looking at the shore lights... Unfortunately he killed his Mother and injured more of his family...This guy was a newbie too. Buy and learn how to use a gps... it could save your life... even if you don't know how to completely use the thing.. if you understand how to get your position.. if something does happen.. at least you can tell your rescuers where the hell you are... Good luck.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Vanilla motor:
with Alpha drive, any motor less than 260hp.
with Bravo drive, any motor less than 365hp
with XR drives, any motor less than 420hp.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Vanilla motor:
with Alpha drive, any motor less than 260hp.
with Bravo drive, any motor less than 365hp
with XR drives, any motor less than 420hp.
Nothing strong enough to break the stuff behind it!... good... how about rocky road? lol

"This here motor is the "rocky road" off offshore power plants!"....
Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Kaama has some very good advice. Go Slow! it will be faster in the long run.

Mentally plan the launch, the docking etc. Tell your wife/girlfriend what is plan A and what could go wrong and tell her plan b also. Dont' yell at her, teach her. I have seen men yell at woman at the launch and the situation was totally caused by the guy. Yelling doesn't fix the situation.

I always un hook the boat from the winch AFTER the boat is started.

Start the motor before you pull up anchor.

MOST IMPORTANTLY......Remember you are the Captain. You are responsible for the safety of those in your boat.

The better we as boaters at being courteous, and teaching others what our fathers and grandfathers taught us, the better our chances of keeping our government away from us.

Last edited by Southbound35; 02-15-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.