Alignment help >

Alignment help

Notices

Alignment help

Old 02-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just keep on grinding on the alignment tool until it goes in. Works EVERY time! I have yet had to adjust a motor to get it to align.

As far as tapping on the tool itself, IF the bearing does move, which the outer race should not, wouldn't it be off in the last direction it was tapped on? I've never had to do this. But it sounds like it applies more to when a new gimble bearing is also installed, not just an alignment check. Ejucate me on this. thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've make several alignment tools in various sizes. If the normal doesn't go in I use one cut down about .020 just to see the pattern of the splines. Then I adjust the motor till the normal size goes in. After that I hit the tool side to side and up and down w/ small sledge hammer. This also helps to align the coupler in the rubber and aligns the bearing better.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered

US1, the gimbal bearing is a replacable cartridge bearing when installed properly (cutout to the front). The bearing portion can be replaced by aligning the bearing with the cutouts and rotating the cartridge 90*. When the drive is removed, there are times that the driveshaft can get cocked sidewayz after just exiting the coupler causing the bearing to move. Usually if the drive is allowed to drop. When this happens the cartridge (gimbal bearing) can become cocked sideways making realignment necessary to get the tool in. When you tap on the tool you need to make sure that it is at least started into the coupler else it won't work. If it is started the bearing will become aligned.

Before I learned this on a boat I had years ago, I got so pissed I couldn't get the engine aligned I took it to a merc dealer. Took the guy about 10 seconds to get the tool to slide right in after aligning the bearing.

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 02-27-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by blue thunder
When you tap on the tool you need to make sure that it is at least started into the coupler else it won't work. If it is started the bearing will become aligned.

BT
Ok, That part has never been mentioned before whenever someone mentions tapping on the tool. That makes since having the front edge of the tool 'started/ located/supported' in the coupler. I have always been picturing the tool just in the bearing only and being banged on. That's why I was thinking it could make the bearing out of alignment even more. Tanks fer da edukaysun!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
Tanks fer da edukaysun!
No tanks necessary. Consider that payment for 1 of the 25 or 30 things you have taught me....

Dave