Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
erratic oil pressure >

erratic oil pressure

Notices

erratic oil pressure

Old 02-17-2004, 12:02 AM
ajnosse

Default erratic oil pressure

Just dropped a new BB Chevy 454 into a 18' jet boat and running at home on the hose, I always had 75-80 psi O/P, it would never go down. On the lake, the O/P started to fluctuate at higher RPM & after running 5 or 10 min under load- above about 3500. It would drop from 70-75 to about 40-45 and fluctuate there while the RPM was up & seemed to fluctuate with diffrent RPM. As soon as you let off the throttle, it would bounce right back to 70 psi or so, and stay there at idle??? Running 20/50 wt oil & the rebuild on the engine was fairly mild. Any Suggestions? Help!!

Old 02-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is you are slinging the oil with the crank and foaming it... how deep of a sump do you have? Is it a wet sump? or a dry sump? How many quarts does it hold? Do you have a tray in the sump and trap doors?.. do you have an oil cooler or a remote filter set up? lots of things can contribute to your symptoms..
Old 02-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Are you using the same guage and sending unit that you had before???

I know that when I had a gaffrig guage matched with a VDO sending unit, it did the exact same thing. Basically the guage was running in reverse.
Also check the wiring at the guage to make sure its grounded and not reversed.

Also, make sure you check it with a mechanical guage.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many quart pan do you have? Sounds like you are pumping it empty. Not an uncommon problem with a high volume oil pump and a stock or small pan.
At an idle the oil has time to run back and keep the pickup covered.

Last edited by mopower; 02-17-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 AM
ajnosse

I've put a new gauge/sender in & also put a mchanical gauge in mounted on the transom so I can see it while running. I think its an 8 quart pan, wet sump, it has trap doors and a tray in it. The confusing thing is, it will never happen on the trailor, even at 3500 or 4000 rpm, it will never fluctuate. During the rebuild, I had the pan and filled it with nine quarts and it just started coming over the windage tray, I think that might be too much? Is it possible to pump 8 quarts out of a pan with a H/V oil pump?

Old 02-17-2004, 10:40 AM
ajnosse

No oil cooler or remote filter either...

Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the boat is on the trailer it isn't getting bounced around like on the water... I think the oil is getting aerated and foaming.... once air is entrained into the oil... it becomes "compressible".. the tiny bubbles compress and the oil pump has a hard time pushing it down the oil passages. Where is your oil pump pick-up located ? Is it properly attached to the pump? Also... when you have been running it on the trailer... did you hold it at 3500 rpm's for five or ten minutes... if you did that and the oil pressure was still good.. even on the trailer... then I would say your sump has enough capacity. One other thing about the "erratic pressure". When you look at the gauge while it is erratic... is the needle "dancing"?. Or just reading a lower pressure.. Sometimes when there is air in the system the needle will dance violently. This is seen more with mechanical gauges than electric though. Also... do you have an oil temp gauge? And what are your oil temperatures?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be the wrong pickup for the pan. Is it the same as before or is it entirely different?
The pickup should match the pan. This is exagerated but you could have a 15" deep pan and a 3'" pickup and still run out of oil. You should have about 1/4" between the pickup and the inside of the pan.
Easiest fix is to add an extra quart...maybe two and give it a try again. MY bet is you see an improvement.
EVERY time I've seen a problem like this , it has been a pickup problem or a level problem. In that case the guy was using the wrong dipstick and was actually a couple of quarts low , when he thought he was full . drained the oil and found 5 quarts in a 10 qt. pan

You DO sound like you are full though.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:35 AM
ajnosse

No..I didn't hold it at rpm for that long on the trailor..but will try it. The needle on both my gauges jump violently down to 40-45 psi and "jerk" in that range until you let off the throttle...even just 1000 rpm or so, then "jump" back to 70 or so. The pick up is almost right under the oil pump, in a BB Chevy, its at the rear of the pan. Its a milodon pickup and it definately is securely attached to the pump. I know that for a fact. No oil temp gauge though... If the crank is causing aerating, is the answer less oil to bring the level down? This is where it gets confusing

Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
ajnosse

The pickup is a bit over a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the pan. Also I've had as much as 10 quarts in the pan and seen this problem.. I drained the oil yesterday and brought it up to 7 qts to try this time..don't know if it will help or not. Would a thinner oil like 10-40 instead of 20-50 make a difference?

Quick Reply: erratic oil pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.