Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Steering pulling suddenly? >

Steering pulling suddenly?

Notices

Steering pulling suddenly?

Old 02-22-2004, 10:08 AM
homan

trim the drive up a bit and see if you can see movement when you lift up and down. I had a 454 alpha that the hinge pins were ready to fall out of.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:47 PM
CxCx

Originally posted by 28Eliminator
CxCx, I had this same problem on my last boat. One of the valves isn't sealing in the steering control valve, so it is trying to turn the boat and you are fighting it. You can get a rebuild kit, but I just replaced it and the problem was gone. I think it was about $100 or so, but that was 5 years ago.
Did it just pull one way and not at low speeds? Homan-I do have some play in hinge pins and some at the top. Do those pins ride in a bushing? Did you have steering probs w/those loose pins. Looks like fun to pull the gimbal ring. Drilling one in. access holes is one thing but tapping them? Thanks CxCx

Old 02-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is how it started and then got worse. Just pulled port side harder when going fast. If the hinge pins need replaced, you should fix that as well, but I have seen boats that had the hinge problem that didn't pull like you are talking about. I know exactly what you are talking about. You have to keep a hold of the wheel tight or it's LEFT TURN CLYDE. Plus the fact that it just started happening all at once.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:47 AM
CxCx

Thumbs up

OK I'll start there and then look at tightening up drive. Maybe I'll tell the ol' lady that I need one of those XS Performance systems to fix it! Thanx a bunch for the feedback. Hammer down(if your boat steers correctly) and Happy boating! CxCx