Notices

Solenoid

Old 02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid

There is a solenoid mounted on the forward bulkhead of the engine compartment in my boat. One of the heavy guage battery cable posts broke off so I need to replace it. The only markings on it are:

12V 12S
89 68258

Is this an intermittant or continuous duty solenoid? What amperage rating is it/do I need to replace it with?

I didn't have time to fully trace the battery cabling, as most of the cabling is routed under the floor, so I don't know what it controls. I'm guessing it's not a starter solenoid since there is only one and I have a twin engine boat, but rather a solenoid for the hull electrical system. Is this correct? My boat doesn't ahve any high-amp equipment like A/C, galley, etc, but I am adding a new stereo with multiple amps, subs, etc.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Hey Monty, i've always had great luck with just taking any solenoids over to NAPA...they usually match it right on every time.......theres an old guy (Karl i think) at a NAPA near Randhurst mall (I believe its right on 83 and palatine expwy (willow rd) He has been around long enough to know most everything just by looking at it!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Registered

Thanks Wally. if I can't figure it out, I'll give that NAPA a call. BTW, I'm dropping the 540's off this coming weekend for installation, so I should be done with your TRS alignment tool in a week or two.

Here's a picture of the solenoid I'm referring to. It's located to the bottom right of the fire extinguisher.
Attached Thumbnails Solenoid-engine_above.jpg  
Old 02-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered

Hey Monty, your solenoid is Mercury, that number subs to the new part # 89-853654A1
it list for 20.80. hope this helps
Mark
Old 02-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the local auto parts place.....
get a FORD solenoid... about $4.00... I disassembled a Merc & Ford.... neither are waterproof & use the same seals.... Save $16.00!!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what the solenoid controls and what it's amperage rating is? I couldn't track the cables fully since they are routed under the floor, but the solenoid appears to be in series between the batteries and the master battery switch?

Last edited by Monty; 02-24-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those solenoids are used to switch full high current to things like: engine starters (slave solenoids), macerators (heads), trim & k-plane pumps, fresh water pumps and sometimes even bilge pumps. No way to know which yours is for sure but being on the forward bulkhead (to the cabin??) it may be for the macerator. Mine is mounted in front (backside) of the forward bulkhead.
Hope that helps!.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Registered

blown formula,

Thanks for the reply. Mine is mounted on the engine compartment side of the bulkhead as shown in teh picture i posted above. I don't have a Head or macerator, so I'm guessing it's just for the other things you mentioned. Anyway, thanks to H2Xmark for cross-matching the part numbers for me, I looked it up on a Mercury parts website, found it, and ordered the replacement. As he mentioned, the part number I initially posted is superseded by the part number he posted. I'm sure I coulda' gotten it cheaper from a local parts store with a little effort, but it was only $18 shipped to my door so it wasn't too bad. I'm still curious as to what it's ratings are though.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Registered

Cool, I did something good for a change better get that boat ready spring is almost here
Mark R