Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Chriscraft STINGER???? >

Chriscraft STINGER????

Notices

Chriscraft STINGER????

Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 PM
killahair

Default Chriscraft STINGER????

Interested in a 1986 Chriscraft Stinger 390 - 39' but cannot find alot of information on these older offshore vessels - want to know the good and bad on them before I might purchase. I heard they had stringer and hull problems but that was on the 26 footers.This is the original Miami vice style offshore - Please help and tell me what I should look out for what viewing boat - or if previous owners have any good or bad comments on them please do tell.Thank You

Old 02-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can tell you about this boat is I believe there was one in the movie "Tequila Sunrise" with Mel Gibson.

It was a nice looking ride in red, and I think he got laid by Michelle Pfifer in it!. What more could a guy want?

Before you drop the $$$, I would get a survey done by a competent, experienced marine surveyor looking specifically at hull moisture and stringer condition.

Last edited by RedDog382; 02-26-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

One of our club mambers had one that opened up down the keel-at speed. He was in 3-4 footers at about 35 mph and the damn thing just parted. This boat was never raced and had stock motors. It sunk in less than a minute. His insurance company would not cover the hull since they said it was a structural defect and not an accident

Have the boat surveyed very carefully as all CC from that era had some hull issues.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep.........I know of a 31 that opened up also !!
Be very careful
Old 02-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has an 84 cc 312 that is starting to open up. There is a split in the rear seat and the front engine stringer. Also, there are large cracks on the topside in front of the windshield. Scary!

BT
Old 02-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

My father bought a brand new 1986 312 Stinger.Beat the heck out of it for about 6 years with no hull problems.Did destroy the windshield on a stuffing incident though.

The 1984 390 Stingers are awesome looking old boats in my opinion.Just need a pro to look the boats over if you find something you like.And remove the arch if it has one
Old 02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered

Warpaint in Q&A Dang, engines must be getting close to done Wassup John?

Dave
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Registered

Hi Dave.Both motors have been done for over a month.Still need to go to Nickersons for break-in on the dyno.Getting excited.Looking forward to another good summer!Spyder says 650 hp each but i will be happy with 630 so i am anxious too see the results.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered

Whooohoo, sounds good Warpaint. If you need any help wrenching or launching, look me up. I'm pretty good with a wrench and can snatch a sinking boat onto the trailer with the best of them!!

Dave
Old 02-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally posted by blue thunder
Whooohoo, sounds good Warpaint. If you need any help wrenching or launching, look me up. I'm pretty good with a wrench and can snatch a sinking boat onto the trailer with the best of them!!

Dave
Thanks Dave.New bilge pumps too.No sinking allowed How is your project coming along?

Quick Reply: Chriscraft STINGER????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.