Removing Bottom Paint >

Removing Bottom Paint

Notices

Removing Bottom Paint

Old 03-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Bottom Paint

Is it practical to remove bottom paint? First, will it mess up the hull at all if it gets taken off, or is it a pretty safe procedure? Also what is an avg. price to get it done? $3,000? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, Darren
Old 03-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Depends.

Simply removing paint is easy. Just use the proper stripping chemicals for the style of paint you have.

The hard part is restoring the gelcoat gloss, if that is your plan.

If the boat was properly prepped for paint, they will have scuffed the gel with sandpaper before painting. Sanding those scuffs out and wetsanding back to the proper gloss is the time consuming part.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

I had it removed on a 22 Pachanga I bought and had some blisters fixed and the get restored to like new finish and it cost $1200.00. Hull looks like new and can't wait to try it out this spring.

Was worth that for just the change in looks! I'm sure the speed and handling will improve also

Scott
Old 03-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered

Mcollinstn, I was going to have a marina do the work, so I am not worried about time really, just worried about the looks and integrity of the hull after it is done. But if it is like 22pachanga said and it can be restored to "good as new" finish then it will be well worth the money.

Anyone else have any experience or opinions on it?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darren stop in at Bowkers in Zeeland he can make it happen and way cheaper than the marina!
Don
Old 03-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

I removed the paint off my 26 Corsa . I was able to wet sand the gel coat with 1500 and you can't even tell it was ever there. I used fiberglass paint stripper from Klean Strip. Never again I spent 31hrs on it and cussing the whole time.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally posted by muffman
I removed the paint off my 26 Corsa . I was able to wet sand the gel coat with 1500 and you can't even tell it was ever there. I used fiberglass paint stripper from Klean Strip. Never again I spent 31hrs on it and cussing the whole time.
Same here, in the process now, 4 hours at a time every other Saturday!!! Sometime this year I should be done!!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered

Mine was done by Rod at Performance marine and I do have to say they did an excellant job!
Hard on the wallet, but looks real nice. Remember they also did some fiberglass repair along with removing the botom paint. Seems the paint was hiding a few problems........

Scott
Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
homan

I did my old 26 Scarab it wasn't scuffed looked new after back to all white

Old 03-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally posted by dyno
Darren stop in at Bowkers in Zeeland he can make it happen and way cheaper than the marina!
Don
Dyno, Do you have a number for them? What type of business is it? It may be worth a trip over to your side of the state to get mine done if they do good work.

Quick Reply: Removing Bottom Paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.