Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OK, one more question >

OK, one more question

Notices

OK, one more question

Old 01-31-2002, 04:22 PM
NVRENOUGH

Post OK, one more question

SO i have pretty much decided to whipple my motor and run it till it blows, then replace it with something stronger. one qestion about the thru-hull pick up. can someone explain how they flow more water at idle and low speed. This shows how new to this I am. but i just can`t figure it out
thanks a lot
Jason

Old 01-31-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hay dude good question I would like to know that one also since Im new to this game, anybody out that can help us. Thanks Tahoe
Old 01-31-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

When I added my Whipple, I had a nose-cone and a low-water pickup installed on my Bravo 3.

Check out the pictures
Old 01-31-2002, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Clay,
I know you always say "it's a Crownline" but I must say that is a great lookin' boat.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by NVRENOUGH:
<STRONG>one qestion about the thru-hull pick up. can someone explain how they flow more water at idle and low speed.
Jason</STRONG>
Are you talking about a through hull pick-up for the engine cooling, intercooler flow or what? I just installed two through hulls on my boat,one for the motor and one for the intercooler.

Craig
Old 01-31-2002, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O.K. Let's try this. When a boat is moving through the water a low pressure area forms all around the hull. This has to do with fluid dynamics and movement across the hull. If you are moving slow the pressure drop is non-existant so you have water pressure pushing in on the through hull. When you start moving the pressure drops and can actually form a vacuum at the through hull-depending on how it's shaped. OTOH if you have a little scoop on it and it's facing forward you can force water pressure up and help the pumps out.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:27 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JUST TO ADD MY 2 CENTS I DONT HAVE THRU THE HULL. BUT IF YOU ARE IDLEING ENGINE ONLY NEEDS SMALL FLO OF WATER THAT WATER PUMP CAN HANDLE ON ITS OWN. THU HULL PICK UPS ARE GREAT BECAUSE SOME OF THEM YOU CAN ADJUST TO DIFFERENT HIGHTS,AND ARE A DIRECT & POSITIVE SOURSE OF WATER.NOT LIKE GOING THRU A OUTDRIVE LOWER CASTING,THEN THREW ALL THOSE INTERNAL FITTINGS.INCOMMING WATER LINES CAN ALSO BE LARGER IF YOU NEED FOR INNER COOLERS.FLOWING MORE WATER AT IDLE SPEED IS PROBABLY TRUE WHEN WORKED OUT ON PAPER UESING FLO RATES.BUT I THINK THIS SMALL FACTURE THEY UES AS ANOTHER SELLING POINT.