Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New Whipple on 500EFI will not start... HELP!! >

New Whipple on 500EFI will not start... HELP!!

Notices

New Whipple on 500EFI will not start... HELP!!

Old 02-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Update on 500EFI's with whipples on 36' Spectre Cat.

Found the problem with the motor. Whipple sends a MAP sensor extension cord to hook up the stock wiring harness to the whipple 2 bar MAP sensor. Two of the wires were crossed on the extension cord. That took about 20 hours of troubleshooting.

Ran the boat today. Calm water, 36" Bravo I's, 1.5 gears, ~60 deg F. The boat ran 124 mph (GPS) banging the rev limiters at 6,000 rpm. More speed is there baby!! Previous speed was 106 GPS. Only problem is black transom soot like with the stock motors.

We'll keep you updated.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

I'm glad you found the problem. I hate electrical problems! The results seem worth the headaches.
Dan
Old 02-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the reply. I think the owner is happy with the Whipples. Other than the speed, the boat gets on plane quicker and accelerates hard throughout the rpm range. Correction, the drives are 1.36 gears, not 1.5 like I previously reported.

The installation is easier with the motor out of the boat but is still a pain in the butt. However, 20 mph increase ain't nothin' to sneeze at.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like it is time for a drive ratio change to 1.26 and IMCO lowers with nosecones if not allready. I want to hear 135mph. That is my ideal boat.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:40 PM
CAT-DADDY

Default I need help again.

As Thunderstruck said, we ran 124 about a month ago. I changed gears since I was banging the rev limiter. Did not run the boat until Saturday.

The right hand motor will not run above 2600 rpm. It back fires and dies. The PCV valve and the vacuum line blew off of the blower and ruined the seal between the blower and the intake.

The left hand motor does the same thing at a higher rpm.

I am lost here. I did not do any maintenance between the runs other than changing gears.

Did not check the timing except to ensure that the distributor was tight.

The plugs are not fouled.

I have two sets of ECMs. Both programmed by Whipple. We tried both.

I just want to thank Thunderstruck for the help over the last two months. He is very knowledgeable and was probably a Mercruiser mechanic in another life.

Old 03-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Cat Daddy,

Assuming that nothing else has been touched except the gear ratio, your ECM's may need re programming. What happens when you change ratios is that fuel, spark and air demands are all different than they were previously programmed for. The lower the ratio, the more load on the engine.

I experienced somewhat what you did when I went from 1.50 to 1.35 ratio, except my stalling occurred at 3,000 RPM. Once thru that it was fine all the way to WOT. Dustin reprogrammed the ECM's and she runs fun now (albeit a little rich at idle and we're working on that).

Changing ratios is akin to driving a stick shift car and setting it up for running based on shifting from 1rst thru whatever high gear would be, say 6th.. With the outdrive ratio change, now you're starting out in "3rd. gear and at 2,600 you're shifting to 6th. gear" and the ECM's going nuts.

Just for yucks, check to see that the manifold pressure line from the plenum to the MAP sensor is still attached at both ends. It fits over a barb about 1/2 way back on the plenum down low.

As to blowing out seals, we just removed our blowers after about 80 hours use (putting on the new engines) and of the three engines, one of them had the seals blown out at the plenum level, not where the blower attaches above the chiller. Even though they were gone, the black sealant Whipple uses was still there and we didn't notice any difference in the operation of the engine.

When we reinstalled the blowers, we used the sealant that Mercury uses on their outboard powerheads AND the rubber seals just to be certain.

We'll be dynoing the new engines at Chief this Tuesday and Wednesday and will be happy to provide any numbers from those runs to any Whipples users. The only difference between the new engines and the regular 500 EFI, is the new ones have Merlin heads with 310 cc intake runners and Crane Roller lifters instead of the GM's that come std. on the 500 EFI.

Good luck, and call if you have any questions.

Steve