Notices

Grease 101

Old 03-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease 101

Need some grease info, I'm not doing it correctly and need to be set straight before I really screw something up.

Need to know what all to grease and how often. Any help is appreciated...
Old 03-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Registered

TTT
Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 AM
jhnrckr

What type of drive, should be a handful or more fittings on it. Do you have a fitting on your engine coupler? I over-greased mine and gunked up the u joint bellows once, no big deal.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered

bravo 1....i really don't know all the places to check and I'd rather find out now instead of breaking something b/c I didn't grease it. Just really need to know what grease and where to put it
Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

dang...guess I'm the only one that greases
Old 03-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

The maintenance section of the service manual (you do have one...don't you?) should tell you all the points to grease, and what type to use. I know mine does. It should also tell you how often to grease. FYI, I have one fitting that's really hard to grease. The clearance is so tight that you can't even get one of those swiveling couplers on. I found a really cool coupler through Harbor Freight. It slides on to the fitting from the side, so it only needs about an inch to an inch and a half clearance above the fitting. It's a nice piece.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming your boat is fairly new, so only 1 outside zerk.
This should be done at least once a yr.

1) drive must be removed to grease the 2 U-Joints. Use Merc U-Joint/Gimble Bearing grease here.

2)Grease zerk on RT side of transom assembly gets Merc U-Joint/Gimble Bearing grease. With the drive off, you can watch the gimble bearing to see when the grease starts coming out.
While drive is off, check engine alignment.

3) with drive back on, 2 zerks on the flywheel coupler. use the Merc Coupler grease here. Rotate motor until 1 Zerk is pointing up, grease that. Rotate motor 180*, grease 2nd zerk.

I use the small grease guns with the flexible hose, works fine for all.

Drain and refill the drive with Merc High Performance Drive lube, not the Merc Premium lube. Make sure the drive bottle gets changed too.
Grease prop shaft splines too!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-30-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Registered

use spline grease for the prop shaft correct?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
25 Eagle

US1...so if I pumped almost a whole tube of grease [small Merc tubes] into the gimble bearing zerk am I in trouble? I thought it was a sealed system and would push the gun off the zerk when full. Thanks

Old 03-31-2004, 10:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

97Boss
I have always used Merc 2-4-C for the prop splines. It is more of a general purpose grease. It is always on there when I remove the prop, so I know it does not wash off. I would 'think' the Coupler grease will work there, just never tried it, so don't know how it holds up under water. The wrong grease is better than no grease.
The dedicated greases are for dedicated applications.

1 more area to check:
Depending on motor, if you have a fuel pump mounted on the seawater pump, the housing holds a small amount of the HP drive gear lube. It will usually get a fuel smell to it and appear diluted with fuel leaving many to believe the fuel pump diaphram has ruptured and allowed fuel to mix with the lube. That is not the case if your sight tube is dry. I liked to change that oil every year just as a precaution because of the oil seals in the pump housing. Figure the fuel odor, or what ever it is, isn't good for the seals themselves.

25 eagle,
No, you will just have alot of grease flung around inside of your bellows.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-31-2004 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Grease 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.