Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger Help needed >

Procharger Help needed

Notices

Procharger Help needed

Old 03-31-2004, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BLOWNBOAT, who reprogrammed your ECU for you?

Pantera24-650HP, you are right on the timing jumper, but I didn't have my manual when we were timing so we set it for max timing with the light ( probably wrong). I always just do what you said on my boat and that works, but how do you know what the total timing really is on EFI?

blown formula, now that explains why their stupid manual says to use 32psi of fuel pressure. I know how to set the TPS, but I havn't looked at it since it was running ok prior to the procharger. Where do you install an EGT and wouldn't you need one on every cylinder to really tell anything.

It starts and idles great, but when you give it the throttle it sounds like it is loading up. Maybe fuel, maybe timing or a combination of both. Next time out, we might take a smaller prop to get it on plane and then maybe we can get it to warm up and then do some testing.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

28 Eliminator,
I too am familiar with the chilly water syndrom.
Why don't you run a 120 thermostat with bypass and pressure relief?
I can program all of my enrichment out but I like the benefits of cold start enrichment; especially in our cold early season waters.

I'm not sure what the Merc ECU uses, but all of my enrichment is from 35* to 100* It sure helps those early morning starts in the Spring.
Dave
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

Dave, I know what your talking about. We were talking about the 120 thermostat, and I think we might get one. Where do you buy them at (whipple?).
That's probably enough to get it out the the enrichment mode.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered

Whipple or ASM
You'll need a bypass and pressure relief. If you have the PC crossover and thermo hsg, it's easy to modify rather than buying a new one.
Dave
Old 03-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the 120* stat at West Marine in brass. Drill 3 holes per PC manual. Arizona Speed did the ECU. Get the MEFI-3 unit if you can. AZ SPD will exchange units. The MEFI 3 is much better and allows a lot more control.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM
blownboat

Az speed and marine programmed mine also, it works great now.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Registered

sweeeeet, Thanks guys
Hey blown formula, the manual that came with this one doesn't say anything about a thermostat and 3 holes, but I don't beleive everything I read either. I know the MEFI 3 is much better, but it's quit a bit of coin to change. I know, it's a lot of money if you blow the motor also, but it seems like there are a lot of guys using the MEFI 1 with success. Just need to get the combination right.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill 1/8" holes (3) equadistant apart around the stat. This allows some water flow even with the stat closed. It works! Allows a little engine heat to be built.
As far as the MEFI 1, yes you can make it work but it is MUCH easier to get into dangerous territory with it. That makes the EGT gauge mandantory. If you are in a single engine, I would still use a dual display and put probes in both exhaust manifolds. Go above 1350* and the pistons are toast!! It give a real good idea of where/when to back off.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

I believe you'll still need a bypass in order to keep the exhaust adequately cooled

As BF stated, an EGT gauge(s) is a worth while investment.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

OK, here's the latest. The weather was nice today so we took off early and hit the lake. Well to make a long story short, it's still running really rich. We did get it on plane but I could still hear it blubbering at 50. Didn't even bother pulling the plugs.
We couldn't get the temp to raise up at all, so I think we are just going to send the ECU in to get it reprogrammed. We will get a 120 degree thermostat also, so we can get the temp to raise up and keep the condensation from making things worse. Drill a couple of holes to keep the exhaust from getting to hot then see what we can we have. This is kind of fun, but my friend doesn't think so. I have been through a lot of testing and trial and tweaking with this type of stuff, but my friend likes to just hit the key and go. I told him that it will be ok once we get the bugs worked out. Just need to drink another beer and wait for the ECU to get back.
Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Procharger Help needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.