Marine transmissions which ones?

Notices

Marine transmissions which ones?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be because the drives he has do not counter rotate.

It just a different cam, distributor gear, starter and rear main seal that make the engine spin backwards.

Makes a V bottom much more balanced as well with both the propellers and the engines counter rotating.

Only the new ASD8 drop boxes counter rotate.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rik
That explains it.
How about custom ground cams? Do most manufacturers have the ability to produce any of thier camshaft profiles in reverse rotation?
Gary
Old 04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

And one other followup.
I've seen both gear driven cam (normal rotation cam) like merc uses on their reverse rotation motors, and chain driven (cam also rotates in reverse) for reverse rotation motors. Which do cam makers grind them for?
Gary
Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Getting a cam made has not been an issue over the years.

Remember, in the past the majority of marine engines were counter rotated to accomplish the RH & LH task.

Today for some reason, the some ski boats use a reverse rotation engine???

Your cam manufacturer can answer these questions far better than I as they will know what they make.

I'm sure that not every grind is made in RH and LH but the real answer lies with the cam manufacturer.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally posted by Rik

It just a different cam, distributor gear, starter and rear main seal that make the engine spin backwards.

Makes a V bottom much more balanced as well with both the propellers and the engines counter rotating.

Whats up Rik?

The crane cam used in these engines is the 139741
versions.The counter engine cam has a LH
stamp after the part #
The distributor gear is cut opposite of the normal rotating engine. which allows it to spin the same way as the normal rotating engine. the firing order is opposite on the counter 12756348

If you think about it the distributor would have to spin the same because it drives the oil pump.

However the rear seal is identical on both engines
in this case. Why would it have to be different?

The starters are different.

On this application the props spin inward.

I actualy had to flip the blower drive snout on one of the ( roots)mooneyhams to allow it to spin the correct way sitting on the counter engine. lukily it was symetrical. (Now the mooneyham sighn reads upside down) Try doing that with a whipple. I tried to get procharger to listen forget it. I was going to persue
maybe making a different bracket to allow the centrifigal to mount backwards. it was just to easy to do the roots.

The New ASD # 8,s drop boxes Would be the way to go.
Then I could actually keep a spare engine around.
Rik post a picture of one.

Last edited by caveman; 04-05-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Man some good reading here. will have to post a pic with my measurements from my hull to center of drives to see what drop boxes needed along with what height to mount at.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Gerry, whats up w/ the blue starters. Paint that chit man!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally posted by marinetrans
Gerry, whats up w/ the blue starters. Paint that chit man!

Why you not like my Smurf starters?

I sent them to the armature guy who does all are work at the dealership. I told them there going in my boat.
Thats what I got back

The real catch is one of them wasnt disengageing properly after the rebuilds so he came buy the shop and saw them on the engines He said "guess I should have painted them a different color"
He probrobly thought they were going in a bayliner.

Another thing I should have left alone.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

I'm certainly no engine builder but I've been told that the rear main seal is different on the counter rotating engines??

With the standard "Roots" style blowers you will need to rotate the front housing cover to make the blower spin the correct way while the engine runs backwards.

The other style of blowers cannot be counter rotated as one cannot move the drive pulley to change the rotation of the blower.

The new ASD8 drives cannot be mounted at an angle, rather they mount vertically. A stagger setup will require the engines to be staggered. (Of course there are ways around this)
Attached Thumbnails Marine transmissions which ones?-8-6-drop-box.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Rik
I'm certainly no engine builder but I've been told that the rear main seal is different on the counter rotating engines??

With the standard "Roots" style blowers you will need to rotate the front housing cover to make the blower spin the correct way while the engine runs backwards.

The other style of blowers cannot be counter rotated as one cannot move the drive pulley to change the rotation of the blower.

The new ASD8 drives cannot be mounted at an angle, rather they mount vertically. A stagger setup will require the engines to be staggered. (Of course there are ways around this)
Some seals have little "threads" molded into the rubber... these feed the oil back into the engine and facilitate lubricating the rubber seal lip... I know of several european car engines that don't have a "rear seal" as most people know it.. there is no rubber lip at all... there is a "slinger" which directs the oil away from the area that the crankshaft exits the block. Close to the surface of the crankshaft is a housing that is within .001" of the crankshaft... the crankshaft at this area has an "archemedian screw"... which are square cut threads that "thread" the oil back into the sump... Works great... just don't park on a steep hill.... If you were to convert one of those engines into a reverse rotation... then the threads on the crankshaft would draw the oil outward....

Quick Reply: Marine transmissions which ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.