Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gen VI block, Mark IV heads....??? >

Gen VI block, Mark IV heads....???

Notices

Gen VI block, Mark IV heads....???

Old 04-03-2004, 12:27 PM
DonMan

Question Gen VI block, Mark IV heads....???

I know we`ve done this subject before, but even after searching the archives, I didn`t get a clear answer to my question.
I`ve got a Gen VI 454 block. Can I use Mark IV ( cast #188 ) heads. I read were aftermarket Mark IV style heads (Merlin, etc..) can be used after punching hole on gasket. I just didn`t read that anyone has used a factory GM Mark IV head on the Gen VI block.
I think FelPro lists possible gasket/head combos in their performance catalog, but I can`t remember.....

Old 04-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Block have round or tear drop style water passage transfer holes?
You can plug the front holes with pipe thread and run Mk 4 head gasket like a 1017-1, if you have round transfer slots, then it is just like a Mk 4.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:51 PM
bajalome

Donman,
The Gen IV heads will work on the Gen VI 454 block according to chevrolet. They changed the block in 91 to the Gen V and when they did that they increased the size of the water jacket at the top of the deck, as a result the coolant could seep out into the lifter valley. So the heads will not work on a Gen V. However in 96 they came out with the Gen VI block and made the changes to accomodate the Gen IV heads. I just recalled this info from the Dennis Moore performance book. Wish I could remember where I put that book. Hope this helps.