Big Block Chevy Intake decision >

Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Notices

Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo,

That is interesting. Let me know what single plane intakes work best. I have no. 2's and I want to rpm's around 5600
Old 04-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good alternative to the Torquer, but in a rect. port version, is the Wiend Accelerator. It's the manifold used on the Merc. 420. It would be a good match for that cam. Just prop it to run over 5000 rpm.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Well. . .I work with Joe Petelle of HVH very closely. . .complete induction combinations. ..drawing from my experience with him and since he has designed some of the best flowing intakes in the performance industry. . .it would be my opinion to with the Air-gap.

Chris

Old 04-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

by the way I'm running Edelbrock RPM's model 7161 oval port at 5100 and like it better than the single plane Merlin I used to run.... I traded it to JimV for some labor
Old 04-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Sut where did it make the power below 5500?? I want to stay around there....
Old 04-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

I used the Vic Jr. Had it na and used it with a Pro Charger. I liked it in both set ups.

DAVE
Old 04-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Registered

I just bought 2 Dart intakes that are Med. oval that are made to cover a rec. port too.(Holley makes another like the GM one your boat came with but with Med ovol and enough material to cover the REC. opening.) Low end torque is not suposed to suffer too much and with the huge air gape and raised design top end is much better.Seems like the Manufacterers push the dual planes because even in a hot rod you need good response from the idle,,,in a boat you jump to 2500 or so when you hit it.(my humble opinion) I have also used tkr 2 but these WILL NOT cover a Rec. hole.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:11 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Merlin Single Plane is not good?
I don't know, just asking.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Registered

A single plane is the way I would go. RLW is correct in a Merlin single plane works great to about 540" max on a marine engine. Above 540 a single plane Dart would be better. I have no experience with Brodix, but I am sure they have great products as well. Another alternative is a Holley Strip Dominator oval manifold match ported to the 990 heads. This will give you great torque and all the benefits on the big end of a single plane manifold. For maximum performance consider a Wieand tunnel ram with dual 650 double pumpers. Better performance everywhere except right off idle.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to keep the 850's that came with it. I'm on a budget and want to work with what I have. I have Dart single plane (6204) manifolds that are oval port. These were on the old heads that came on the boat (peanut ports). I fiqured that machine work could make these Darts ok, but why not sell them and buy something that will compliment the motor combination. I want good, solid running motors. I'd like to see about 500 horse with my combo. I have heard from other friends that the Victor Jr. would be a good choice. I ask because I knew someone would have experience (good or bad).

Quick Reply: Big Block Chevy Intake decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.