Trailer Tires >

Trailer Tires

Notices

Trailer Tires

Old 04-16-2004, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I run GoodYear Marathons too. So far I am pleased. My trailer came with Carlisle non-radials and they wore very quickly and unevenly. I don't think the problem is with the trailer either.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check tire warrenties too. I got a year on mine, whitch is all I seem to get out of them. Just another thing to compare .
Old 04-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Myco came with GoodYear Marathons and that says a lot to me. Triple axle and almost 20,000 miles going into my third season and they look brand new.

I watch the tire temperature like a hawk.

Buy your self a laser thermometer and you can keep a real close check on tires and hub temps very easy.

Just point pull the trigger and get an instant temperature reading.

When we are towing I shoot all six tires and hubs every rest stop we make. You are not looking for a certain temperature, but consistency between all the tires on one side. I say on one side because the sun will usually be shining on one side more than the other and you will see around five degrees more then the shaded side.

In 30 degree weather you will probably only see 50-60 degree temps. In 80 to 90 degree weather out on an interstate highway I have seen 110 to 115 degrees on the side with the sun. If all your tires and hubs are within a few degrees of each other you are okay. My front tires always run 2-3 degrees more than the rear tires. They also have brakes on them which will make a slight difference.

If you see a tire running 10 to 15 degrees greater than the others, pull it off and replace it before it blows!

Good Luck
Old 04-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Unless Carlisles have improved...there was a thread a while back with MANY MANY Carlisle blow outs
Old 04-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mopower
Unless Carlisles have improved...there was a thread a while back with MANY MANY Carlisle blow outs

Last summer I had 2 blow outs with Carlisles within about 100 miles of each other. Yes, I checked the pressure before getting on the interstate. They suck. Get the Goodyear's. my $.02
Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Kidnova
Last summer I had 2 blow outs with Carlisles within about 100 miles of each other. Yes, I checked the pressure before getting on the interstate. They suck. Get the Goodyear's. my $.02
Cute
Old 04-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally posted by KYElimEagle
Check for Carlisle brand, just put 4 E, s on my trailer. These came in 10 ply which Goodyear did not. I have run the Marathons with success, but a big dealer who sells thousands of trailers in a year goes with the Carlisle brand because of their reliability.
Yea, well, wake up. They use the Carlisle because they are cheap and they give good quantity discounts. Be carefull, there have been many documented problems with them.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Mike.

DGDUCK, is that a 31 Formula? If so, we use 225/14's. Looks like a 10K coupler on the trailer.

Post 8 is correct from what our supplier has been telling us and an article a couple of yrs ago in Boat US trailer club indicated the same. Radial tires have typically been excellent in the RV community due to the fact these tires are typically below 70% of the rated load in use. Boat trailers, on the other hand, are typically loaded to at or near the GVWR of the trailer. Hot highway temps and extended towing over 70% of the tire capacity, with radials, have in many cases exhibited failure to take the stress/heat.

While there is a great history with the Marathons, especially in the RV Section, we have experienced failures on these tires close to maximum GVWR. We have been using Towmaster for several years now (14" & 15" @ 200+ tires a month) and have experienced only one tire warranty issue. the manuf. sent the customer a complete set of six replacement tires directly. We were impressed.

Yes, we have gotten in a new set of radial tires, new to the market, and these are simply impressive. They have a sports car type tread, trailer service, wider tread and section width while incorporatng a higher rating. We now have many sets on the road on our "Allison" trailers and they are now standard equipment. Reports are positive to date. I have pulled a trailer with these tires 900+ miles loaded with no heating to the levels I have seen on other tires. I will state that heating is very subjective to so many factors this statement may have no signifigance without a side by side comparison in identical conditions.

To compliment the use of these new tires we are also in development of a new high performance brake of Aluminum & Stainless. These brakes have been proven by NASCAR (high heat) and dirt track race cars.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Registered

My recommendation would be to get the Goodyear Marathons. I have put 30,000 plus miles on these tires with only one blow out. That was caused when we ran over something in the road (we did not know it) and the tire deflated while we were moving and blew. We saw the smoke and pulled it over just as she went. The screw that caused the deflation was still in the tire.

We replaced the Goodyear with the only thing available (not Goodyear) and it blew in the first 1,000 miles. Got a replacement from the manufacturer, same thing happened. These tires ran noticeably hotter than the Goodyear's. I check the temps at each stop (tire and bearing) as mentioned above.

From my experience (which is not all inclusive), I would chose nothing but the Goodyear Marathon.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Don,, I'll give you the prespective from someone that is in the Tire Business,,, Start by looking at the Miles you put on a year towing,, I mean if you are using your Trl. once a month,, for 100 miles,, Bias will probably work fine for you,, But if your Towing every weekend somewhere, putting on a lot of Miles in a years time,, you need to go with a Radial ,, FOR SURE ,, They Wear better , and last longer,, in fact I tell Cust. that the only reason to buy a Bias Tire,, is because you cant afford a Radial!!
We sell the Goodyear and the Towmaster, the Light Truck Firestone R4S makes a great Trl. Tire!!

I think its close to 90% of Trl. Tire Failure, result from improper inflation causing excessive Heat Build-up!! Then KA-BOOM!!

Hope this helps!!

Bill at High-Tech,, We have great Dealer Pricing!!!!! hint hint hint

Quick Reply: Trailer Tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.