Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
internal exhaust flappers...replacement ? >

internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

Notices

internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

Old 04-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin-
they are clean and shipping to you
$40.00 for pair plus shipping and box
Hope you enjoy
Adam
Attached Thumbnails internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?-p4210001.jpg  
Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the phone calls and for giving me the tracking #. Pleasure working with you. Justin
Old 04-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Kidnova
Justin, I have the same problem as you with the bad internal flappers and have looked into different soultions. I've decided to simply put the external salsbury flappers on. I can get away with that as my tips are about 4 inches above the water line and my exhaust has a good upward pitch to the risers. I also have the Y pipe and internal switchables that will block a rush of water.

There's a couple of non burn {claimed} flappers on the market. But like Active Mike says, you will probably need to remove your tips to do the job right. If you're going to remove the tips, you might think about replacing the existing cast tips with new SS ones that have the non burn flappers already in place. I think Rex marine sells them for around $125.00 or so. And I believe the flaps in the Rex tips are replaceable if the need arises. Just be sure to measure the outside diameter and length for replacement tips before ordering. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck !!
You are correct Kidnova, they are replaceable. The new Superflapper is guaranteed not to burn off and fail even with blown motors. To date I've seen NO failures with about 2000 of them in the field. And they are quiet at idle unlike the earlier no-burns.

We came out with the original no-burn design about 4-5 years ago but it proved to fail over time in large engine applications, blown and large cams. We continue to offer warranty on those old design no-burns for anyone that might have Rex tips that have them. We will retrofit your tips with the new superflappers for N/C (as long as they are Rex mfg tips of course). We do need the tips in house to do this as it requires removing the old welded in no burns and welding in the new Superflapper bushings. The Superflappers are heavy duty and like I said above they don't fail like the old ones.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Registered

Just bought a 2001 Nordic with a 496 and thru hull exhaust, it has both internial and external flappers. It made a clunking noise And I thought it was because the retractable swim step was mounted up against one of the external flaps, weird! i fixed that by remounting the step but the noise is still there and I am certain that it is the internal flapper on one side. Does anyone know if I need both internal and external flappers, both internal non burn flappers look alright, just the noise bugs me.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

nelson live with the noise. it sounds better than the silence you hear after engine drinks a buncha water. justin, get another pair of external flappers too. welded-in internal flappers; to replace, grind out the welded pin. get internals with removable pin and install them under the exhaust hose to hold pin in or put a hose clamp over the pin.