Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
gimble ring bearings,Adjustment? >

gimble ring bearings,Adjustment?

Notices

gimble ring bearings,Adjustment?

Old 04-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gimble ring bearings,Adjustment?

The 2 bearings on the side of my ring are very loose. Is this an easy fix or will I need special tools,etc. Have been told there is some adjustment with a star shaped socket by a Merc mech but I don't think it will be enough.Any imput would be helpful.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Registered

The star shaped bolt, is simply that... a bolt. The star shaped tool will allow you to remove the bolts (with heat, to break the loctite). Once those bolts are removed the bell housing can be removed if desired.

Are you saying that those bolts are loose?

Or the gimble ring is 'wallered' out?

If the bolts are loose the threads are probably damaged and would require a new housing or Having a set of "keyserts" put in. The keyserts are simply a heli-coil with keys that keep the heli-coil from turning.

If the gimble ring is wallered out, you will need a new ring, along with all the goodies that go with replacing one!

my $.02

Scott
Old 04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

I'm talking about where the elec trim sending unit is and the same place on the other side. I guess I used the wrong term. Where does one aquire these keyserts?
See,weuns can talk real proper
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered

McMaster Carr is where I purchased mine through. I will post part number tomorrow. They cost about $20 each. Are you sure that is what is wrong?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: gimble ring bearings,Adjustment?

Originally posted by cooltoys61
Have been told there is some adjustment with a star shaped socket by a Merc mech
Dude, I have to ask just were are you finding these marine mechanics? Or is this the same wooden 4x4 guy? There is no adjustment with this hinge pin. It is either tight if good, or loose if there is a problem.

BTW this star shaped socket is called a hinge pin. It is nothing more than a bolt that rides in a replacable sleeve in the gimble ring and threads into the bellhousing. For future reference whenever you have a problem, you can refer to either BAM's or Mercury Marines websites for complete parts breakdown diagrams, names and prices for anything that is Mercury. I find it very handly to resort to. Most times a picture is worth a fortune. Just a tip.

One of my buddys had a loose hinge pin. Luckily caught it in time as it was just loose and threads and bushing were fine. (I removed the pin and checked the threads of both the pin and the bellhousing) Put some lock tite on the stud and screwed it back in with a 1/2" socket allen wrench. The torque is 90-100 ft lbs.

Good Luck
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Registered

Yes,hinge pin is the term, I have since discovered. Now I will take apart Thur but seems like some are saying gimble ring is bad? No use guessing,I 'll open it up and let you guys know what I find. Problem is no good Mech in this area and I'm always breaking new ground(cars,kit plane,motorcycles,etc,,,) and never master anything so I must sound pretty ignorant here but just looking to fix my new(old) ride in time for summer. Thanks for all the help,it is invaluable and much appreciated. Basically you guys are my only source
other than a sorry azz Clymer manual. Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ignorant.... no, not at all.
Just makes it easier to know that we are on the same page by trying to use the same/correct terms to make diagnosing clear.

continue on and keep updated.

Jerry
Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Ok,the bell housing is striped where the hinge pins screw in.
#1 How do I remove the water pickup hose from the bellhousing,can I reuse the plastic insert that seems to be locking it in??
#2 The holes are oblong now,can I get it TIG welded or should I just buy one?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

#1 you can purchase the tool from your local Mercruiser dealer, it is very inexpernsive. But if you destroy it taking it out, a new insert is really cheap also, I always buy another when removing the bell housing.

#2 the holes that the hinge pins screw into are oblong? Either TIG weld a plug or threaded aluminum insert. Or replace with a keysert.

McMaster Carr 330-995-5500
part# 91731-A068
18-8 Stainless Steel Key-Locking Thick-Wall Thread Insert 5/8-18 Int. Thread, 7/8"-14 External Thread, 7/8" long.

Make sure you purchase 1 driver for the keysert also

Have a machine shop put it in ;-)

1/2 hour job
Old 04-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered

thank you
thank you
thank you,Allen

Quick Reply: gimble ring bearings,Adjustment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.