Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust tips part 2 >

Exhaust tips part 2

Notices

Exhaust tips part 2

Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 PM
87 glass

Default hose

Not sure why im not up grading what is involved in doing this a header swap? All the header ive seen are to damned much mony I know headers on a boat are a little more involved than a car but those things are ungodly in comparison or am I looking at something elese. I put nice ceramic coated headers on my stang for $200 I know they dont have water running thrue them but what gives? I would love to switch to 4" it would just look beter in my opinion , might help with performace also. I dont think I would like to do the neck down thing I can see problems with that.

Thanks, JIM

Old 05-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Danny_Ocean

Not sure which engine you have, but my 330/454 was still running on its original (and well-rusted) 3" old-style log manifolds. I switched to 4" GLM's purchased from Dennis Moore. They are a reasonable-quality center-rise replacement for stock Mercruiser manifolds. Total was around $600 + misc. plumbing parts, tips, clamps, etc.

If you look in the classified section on this board, you'll most likely find someone listing a set of headers.

E-Bay also has some good finds...just don't buy anything that's been used for any length of time (more than a couple hours).

The most difficult part of the swap was reconfiguring the plumbing (which wasn't too difficult) and drilling out my transom holes from 3" to 4". Boat sounds great and isn't obnoxiously loud (no mufflers).

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 05-05-2004, 09:53 AM
87 glass

Default Headers

My engine is 260/350 merc. and the mannifolds are also well rusted to almost a crumbling affect on the outlets. I will look around for some headers if any one heres of any let me know this sounds like fun. what do you do about cutting holes in the transom a sawsall?

Thanks,JIM

Old 05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Danny_Ocean

Sounds like you need new manifolds/risers anyway, so may as well switch to something bigger/better.

I used a 4" holesaw with a 3" holesaw mounted inside to act as a guide. Get a big drill with a handle cause it's going to try and twist your arm off.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YUP,

260/350 Merc sounds awesome with 4" tips, Mine was a little obnoxios above the water line with stright pipes, so I switched to Corsa Muffler tips. Pic is before the mufflers, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust tips part 2-tips.jpg  
Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
87 glass

Default Exhaust

Now to find the right set up for my boat and not break the bank. That and the headers would look cool and solve a problem all at once .

Thanks , JIM

Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 PM
87 glass

Default Danny

One more thing were did you get you exhaust parts is the name you mentioned a web site.

JIM

Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Danny_Ocean

Dennis Moore in Monrovia, CA

http://www.mooreperformance.org/

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA