Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gaffrig GPS Speedo quit working over the winter?? >

Gaffrig GPS Speedo quit working over the winter??

Notices

Gaffrig GPS Speedo quit working over the winter??

Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gaffrig GPS Speedo quit working over the winter??

The Gaffrig GPS Speedometer in my boat quit working over the winter. The Gauge swings through the dial to 7, then back down to 4, then to 0 when you turn the key on (before you start the engine) just like it always has, but the speedo doesn't move at all when under way. It was working fine at the end of last season and no one has touched it all winter (it sits on a hoist in my wet slip). I looked at the wiring under the dash and it all appears well connected. Anyone know if there is a fuse or something that could be causing my problem? It seems to me since the Gauge works when you turn the key on that it either isn't sending or receiving the GPS signal. Is the GPS signal originated in the little white hockey puck on the top of the dash or is there another unit somewhere else in the boat? If there is another unit, what does it look like and where is it typically located (the boat is a 27' Fountain)? As you can tell, I'm not sure how these GPS speedos work, but since the boat is only 13 months old, I've got to think it's something pretty simple, and I'm just missing it. I can test it with a voltmeter/multimeter if someone can tell me what I'm looking for. Unfortunately when I got my boat new, there were no manuals for the speedo, so I don't know what/how to test. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
Old 05-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Gaffrig GPS Speedo quit working over the winter??

Call Mike Livorsi or Ed Mannion at Livorsi. They empitomize GREAT customer service (something others in this and other industries could learn from) and they will correct the problem for you. I've had nothing but excellent service and support from them!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:57 PM
yss
Registered

www.livorsi.com can help
Old 05-17-2004, 10:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the info Vyper340 and yss!! I think the info from livorsi.com should help me find the problem, if I can't figure it out, I'll give them a call. This is why OSO is such a great place!! I sincerely appreciate the help.

Thanks again,
Brad