Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which Slip-In Mufflers to use? >

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Notices

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Old 05-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Ya!
my name is Ken. Yes, I had Triad but I am getting old. My back won't hold so well and my boss got have bath room or you know!. Anyway, my friend got ticket last year from DNR. $150 on the spot. I was lucky, they didn't have db meter with them. I was thinking other muffler but I got from Sunsation and this Spring I just put them on. When come to Lake let me know.

Ken.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:55 PM
GGB
Registered

First off we utilize 100% of the tube diameter (3¾ inches on a 4" insert)for the flow of exhaust, not just the area inward from the louvered tube. Secondly we break up the louver tube to create low pressure chambers which cancels the sound waves not the performance. Nordic heat - At first glance we do reduce the inside diameter in the same fashion as the others, but that isn't the only area that the exhaust has to travel through. Look on our site and you'll see that the exhaust flows outward from the centre of the louver also, that's the Big difference.
It aint just the price Rick - More flow - less noise gauranteed.

We have a new Clamp-on that will allow you to run this insert and still leave the internal water flap installed. If I could figure out how to post a pic here I would. Anyone?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:00 PM
GGB
Registered

What kind of power are you running Cord?

Graham
Old 05-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

I have the Rex Marine slip-ins which are like the double-x. I noticed maybe a 1 mph difference on a modified SBC with 9.5:1 cr. It helped with the noise a bit. I wouldn't say it's quiet, but it took away that harsh exhaust note. I noticed about an 8db reduction in sound level on my sound level meter at 50ft at idle. Rex makes them with the center section as a flapper so you can open them up without removing them, but they are quite a bit more expensive with that option. Maybe I'll pull the meter out, and do another comparison. It's been a while.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

540, 600hp and I'd really hate to loose some. Maybe that's the price I have to pay though. These being a slip in, I suppose I could pull them out when I'm less restrictive water.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:51 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GGB,
Can you quantify how many db quieter your inserts is vs Imco's louvered design is. It does sound like you have a different internal design. Does your design flow more than Imco's? If so, without getting too technical, how do you do that with what looks like a similar cross sectional area. The inside diameter looks like about 2 3/4 or 3" not 3 3/4" by the picture on your web site.

Thanks in advance for the comparison,
Rick

Last edited by rv; 05-20-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:38 PM
GGB
Registered

Cord, we will be going to the dyno with these inserts in the near future. As for 600 HP, with the 4.5 inch I gonna say NO lose of rpm or mph out on the water. I have a dealer testing this week with the 4.5 inserts on 900HP, I can let you know the outcome first of next week. Shoot me an email and I'll get you the feedback.
rv - With a conventional louver design the same 8" length the High Flow Louver recorded an addition reduction of 4 dB(A). Send me an email and I'll get you some more pics of the inside of the muffler that'll better explain.

Graham
Old 05-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Here you go...

[email protected]

Please send me those pics too.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Graham,
4db sound like a big improvement. This is over a Imco slip-in louvered type right?

Here is my email:
[email protected].

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another question,
your website states that the slip ins fit into the exhaust hose.
Does this mean that they are the same size/diameter as the tips?
If so, these wont work like traditional slip ins.
Maybe you could explain.
Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.