Port Engine is short on RPMs >

Port Engine is short on RPMs

Notices

Port Engine is short on RPMs

Old 05-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port Engine is short on RPMs

Hoping to get feedback on where I might start analyzing to find out why I am 400-600 RMPs short on my Port engine. I am running 2 Merc 525SC in my 1997 38' Fountain, which I have had only since late last August, and do not have any familiarity with these engines. My fuel pressure, boost in addition to RPM are also low when I am at WOT.

Also, if any one can shed light on how to maintain these engines I would appreciate it; including how to check blower oil, etc. I received now information from the previous owner.

Sorry to be so dumb on this but I have not found anything on the Mercury site either and hoping someone can save me a lot of time tied up at the dock and more time on the water

-Kevin
Old 05-22-2004, 05:32 AM
Registered

Re: Port Engine is short on RPMs

If you have rev limiters make sure there the same on both sides.I checked mine last week, port side had 5600,star. 5200rpm . If you have msd boxes
it's just a chip you plug in.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Port Engine is short on RPMs

From what have described, I would think the fuel pressure is the problem. Since you have twins, you could switch the fuel pumps and see if the problem follows the pump.
Be careful though if its too low. You are risking a lean condition that could cause an engine melt down.
If it was me, I'd just get a new fuel pump for the port engine.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the fuel pres? to lean to long to bad,, yikes...........
but
i had similar issue i just took delivery of a 35 fountain just bought from fl power boats and it had a bad stbd drive dragging one motor down about 2-300 rpm,, if so catch it before it blows.. its way cheaper,,,
Old 05-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it only low at WOT?

When I bought my boat I had one engine a little low all the way up to WOT. There it was 400 rpm less. My trouble was one prop had been replaced and the new prop had more cup to it.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. The fuel pressure is down through out the RPM range, same goes for the boost, when I kick that in. I certainly am worried about the lean condition and know what that can do to an engine. I have a SC on my Vette and watch the Fuel pressure religiously. I thought that the fuel pump might be bad but the guy at the marina said he doubted it, he was saying the gauges might be off, seems a little strange that all the gauges would be off. The suggestion on swapping the pumps is a good idea, but to save time I guess I could just put a new one in to eliminate that possibility. Does anyone know a cost or a good place to check with? I should have my props detailed anyway so that is also a great suggestion.

Last, does anyone know where I can get a book on these engines? You know, where everything is and what are the torque specs on bolts, etc?

Last edited by 38SprtCruzKev; 05-23-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Direct from Mercruiser service manuals. I have one for motors and one for bravos. Guessing 40. each. Get serial #'s first.

Did you ck with Rod at Performance? He should be able to help diagnose that for you.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Registered

Yup....talked to Rob about it, he was on that said the guages might be off.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I've got the Merc manual for my 525sc. It a '96 engine. I think the only diff between 96 and 97 is they changed to CMI exhaust. Not sure if its the exact same manual or not.

It's Mercruiser Hi-Performance series manual #3. The part # on the manual is 90-848294
Old 05-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

I assumed. Can he start by cking them first? I think his motives are good and not bad.

Also, when running is the boat pulling one way due to less rpms?
You should be able to hear, by ear, if your engines are synchronized together. I would start there before spending too much.

pm "10x" Frank on board and he'll tell you.

Quick Reply: Port Engine is short on RPMs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.