What's Too Hot? >

What's Too Hot?

Notices

What's Too Hot?

Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry What's Too Hot?

I screwed up yesterday and let my engine overheat. It's a 502 mag and it pegged the gauge at 240*.I couldn't hear the buzzer for my damn headers. It was still running okay, no missing or knocking, and it started right up to get on the trailer. I just wondered how hot you could get without damage. It's a brand new engine and i'm going to be pissed if my dumbass messed it up.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's Too Hot?

You may have got lucky. Most likely result would be blown head gasket/warped head. Got to love iron heads when you screw up. Might be worth doing a compression test.
Also check your exhaust hoses, you might have burned one through without water.
At high temps a lot of things distort. Keep an eye on your oil pressure, especially when hot, for any noticable drop.
Gary
Old 05-24-2004, 12:26 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's Too Hot?

Well hope you get luckier that I was. I just recently had the same thing happen. I had lost a sea pump altho not very old, musta sucked something over the pickup. Anyway, after fixing that, had a miss, which I though was a plug. In the process of changing plugs, found one with water on it, ugggggghhhh...Checked dipstick and oil was murky. Proceeded to pull the heads, with a crack in the one with the water on plug. Went ahead and pulled the other one, and crack in same location. Still keeping fingers crossed that block is OK. Good Luck.

John
38mm LOTO, MO
Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
DONZIMAN97

Question Re: What's Too Hot?

well I CAN HELP

Two years ago the marina forgot to connect my water hose after they replaced the impeller. Well, my buzzer never went off but i could smell something burning. after about 50 yards, the water hoses off the water exhaust burned off. That's hot, So I sent the oil out to get it analyzed, it came back with very high copper levels, indicating bearing problems. to make a long story short, I ran the boat all summer with know problems. That winter I had the motor rebuilt at the marina's expense of course, If the oil comes back ok and you didn't burn off the hoses your probably ok.
You can have the marina scope the cylinder's for scoring, compression check the cylinder's, and do an oil test. After that be very careful. 4000-5000 rebuild will ruin ENE one's day.

ps the builder gave me a list off reason's to rebuild the engine, I did'nt have a cracked head or block, and it got a Lot hotter than your from how it sounds
good luck