Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil? >

Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Notices

Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Re: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Originally Posted by cobra marty
If Mercury started recommending synthetic oil, How would they sell replacement parts?!

I called and talked to the head of tech support at Merc and his answer is that "We at Merc have not had time to test synthetics"

My reply: "Really" Other manufacturers like Cobra and Sterling have had the time! Do you see Cobra or Sterling finding the Merc conventional product so good that they recommend it or anybody else for that matter? Sterling likes Mobil-1 and Cobra likes RP. Mercedes Benz/AMG/Porsche/BMW//Dodge Viper V-10 500 hp/Chevy Corvette/Honda S 2000 and NSX along with many other upper end vehicle engines recommend ONLY synthetic oil. I can't find a NASCAR Team not using synthetics and a lot use Amsoil. Most are for 0w40 in European cars and the rest 5w30 or 10w30 synthetics. They "had the time to test it Merc Marine". Hope you will someday too! Why? Marine engines need more protection and you won't "test it"???? Come on!

I think you know what I like best. Amsoil 15w40 Marine Synthetic oil with added corrosion inhibitors. http://www.amsoil.com/products/ame.html

This type oil is only for those who have the mentality that they want the best we know the rest "works" too. Synthetics are superior to conventionals. That's pure fact. Some are better than others for marine use. That's why until I find a better product than Amsoil Marine Synthetic with lots of corrosion additives for the marine environment I won't switch.

Additionally, in another thread here the Amsoil fliter is shown to flow about equal to Mercs but with filtration to less and 1/10 of a micron. The Merc filter was a larger pore sized filter that barely filters at all in comparison according to the tests. It's a "bowling ball" fliter. http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

I get a bit irritated when I pay a lot of $$ for a Mercruiser product and then get the "we were too busy to test it story". Now that they have all but totally monopolized the high performance boating arena I guess they can take that attitude.

To be really complete use a synthetic lower gear case oil like RP, Amsoil and Redline make and every other oil change use an engine flush product to remove any potential accumulated gunk.

FYI
The 2-cycle oil NEO developed for Mercury Marine helped bring Betty Cook her two world championships. So Merc is in bed with NEO a manufacturer of synthetics. They will probably bring out the 4 stroke product we heard about at the Miami boat show. http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/about.htm
Anybody ever hear of NEO? SO you see Merc has "tested" synthetics.

Also from the Mercury website:

Designed exclusively for Mercury or Mariner OptiMax and DFI engines, the OptiMax/DFI Oil helps maintain peak engine performance and economy. Combining a carefully modified base stock syn/ blend with an increased additive package, that includes synthetic cleaners, OptiMax/DFI Oil controls carbon deposits and minimizes carbon buildup that can affect engine speed and acceleration.

"OptiMax/DFI 2-Cycle Oil surpasses the performance of the Mercury Premium Plus formulation renowned as the benchmark by which all others are judged," said Don Schultz, Manager of Fuel and Lubricants at Mercury and Chairman of the NMMA Oil Certification Committee. Right. The NMMA certifies many 2 stroke oils for marine use and is going to have a list of 4 stroke synthetic oils too. Then you will see a NMMA cert as well as API certs on the oils. Amsoil 2 stroke is NMMA certified. Funny that NMMA is pushing synthetics but Don is pushing the "part number". API and NMMA mean nothing to me. SImply an opinion is all. API has a lot to do with EPA and fuel saving requirements. NMMA? I use what I believe is best.

So they admit this pseudosynthetic product is better than there "old" Merc Premium Plus conventional oil product. But only after they "branded" a replacement with the Merc name of course!

Before the "branded" product they were pushing straight 30 or 40 wt oils. Real good for hard cranking engines eh? It's called piston scuffing city that's why the change.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-27-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Grease

Default Re: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Hydrocruiser,

I couldn't have said it better. Merc just spent how many millions of dollars developing the Verado platform and they don't have the "time" to test synthetics. Someone in their PR or marketing department needs to come up with a better excuse.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I called and talked to the head of tech support at Merc and his answer is that "We at Merc have not had time to test synthetics"

My reply: "Really" Other manufacturers like Cobra and Sterling have had the time! Do you see Cobra or Sterling finding the Merc conventional product so good that they recommend it or anybody else for that matter? Sterling likes Mobil-1 and Cobra likes RP. Mercedes Benz/AMG/Porsche/BMW//Dodge Viper V-10 500 hp/Chevy Corvette/Honda S 2000 and NSX along with many other upper end vehicle engines recommend ONLY synthetic oil. I can't find a NASCAR Team not using synthetics and a lot use Amsoil. Most are for 0w40 in European cars and the rest 5w30 or 10w30 synthetics. They "had the time to test it Merc Marine". Hope you will someday too! Why? Marine engines need more protection and you won't "test it"???? Come on!

I think you know what I like best. Amsoil 15w40 Marine Synthetic oil with added corrosion inhibitors. http://www.amsoil.com/products/ame.html

This type oil is only for those who have the mentality that they want the best we know the rest "works" too. Synthetics are superior to conventionals. That's pure fact. Some are better than others for marine use. That's why until I find a better product than Amsoil Marine Synthetic with lots of corrosion additives for the marine environment I won't switch.

Additionally, in another thread here the Amsoil fliter is shown to flow about equal to Mercs but with filtration to less and 1/10 of a micron. The Merc filter was a larger pore sized filter that barely filters at all in comparison according to the tests. It's a "bowling ball" fliter. http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

I get a bit irritated when I pay a lot of $$ for a Mercruiser product and then get the "we were too busy to test it story". Now that they have all but totally monopolized the high performance boating arena I guess they can take that attitude.

To be really complete use a synthetic lower gear case oil like RP, Amsoil and Redline make and every other oil change use an engine flush product to remove any potential accumulated gunk.

FYI
The 2-cycle oil NEO developed for Mercury Marine helped bring Betty Cook her two world championships. So Merc is in bed with NEO a manufacturer of synthetics. They will probably bring out the 4 stroke product we heard about at the Miami boat show. http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/about.htm
Anybody ever hear of NEO? SO you see Merc has "tested" synthetics.

Also from the Mercury website:

Designed exclusively for Mercury or Mariner OptiMax and DFI engines, the OptiMax/DFI Oil helps maintain peak engine performance and economy. Combining a carefully modified base stock syn/ blend with an increased additive package, that includes synthetic cleaners, OptiMax/DFI Oil controls carbon deposits and minimizes carbon buildup that can affect engine speed and acceleration.

"OptiMax/DFI 2-Cycle Oil surpasses the performance of the Mercury Premium Plus formulation renowned as the benchmark by which all others are judged," said Don Schultz, Manager of Fuel and Lubricants at Mercury and Chairman of the NMMA Oil Certification Committee. Right. The NMMA certifies many 2 stroke oils for marine use and is going to have a list of 4 stroke synthetic oils too. Then you will see a NMMA cert as well as API certs on the oils. Amsoil 2 stroke is NMMA certified. Funny that NMMA is pushing synthetics but Don is pushing the "part number". API and NMMA mean nothing to me. SImply an opinion is all. API has a lot to do with EPA and fuel saving requirements. NMMA? I use what I believe is best.

So they admit this pseudosynthetic product is better than there "old" Merc Premium Plus conventional oil product. But only after they "branded" a replacement with the Merc name of course!

Before the "branded" product they were pushing straight 30 or 40 wt oils. Real good for hard cranking engines eh? It's called piston scuffing city that's why the change.
Well, dont you know it all. There are some good reasons not to run synthetics and there are some good times to run synthetics. Ive seen engines run 1000 hrs on 30 wt or 40 wt and never had a problem or failure due to oil. Perhaps you could enlighten us on oil related failures.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Registered

Oh, and dont get me wrong, I hate Mercruiser more than anybody but this whole oil issue is out of control. Change it lots, dont overheat it, dont dilute it with fuel or water, and whatever you use will work just fine.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

I'm no petro engineer, but I've read or been told it's because the dino oil will leave a film of oil on the parts when not being used to inhibit corrosion.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Registered

just picked up our new boat with H.O. and in the engine documentation,,, It says secifically NOT to use Synthetic oil... go figure...
Old 05-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Re: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

It's funny! Merc says not to use synthetic oil in those "GM made" engines that GM allows synthetic oil use in when in their truck applications. But Merc's reason is that they told me "they have not had the time to test synthetic oils" and that's the only reason they say not to use them. It's valid I guess.

The "Major Advantages" of synthetic oil use in boating are two-fold:

1. Because synthetics are man made, they contain zero sulfur to break down into sulphuric acid as the potential for condensation is more adept in the marine environment it's a consideration and acid will wear out parts and is most harmful.

2. It's forms a film and protects much better on cold starts which boaters greately benefit from.

Those are the best 2 reasons I can think of. If pressed for a third reason I would just say that Cobra and Sterling use synthetics exclusively from what they told me and have tested them. Cobra uses RP and Sterling Mobil-1.

I also heard Volvo-Penta says to use synthethics, can anyone confirm that?

What is of interest is that in an average season we spend thousands of bucks on storage/marina fees/gas/entertainment etc. and then bicker about a couple bucks on oil and at that forget to consider a better oil filter that probably makes the most sense of using of all. When Merc has their brand of synthetic the discussions will taper I am sure. I am not trying to sway anyone but I studied this, used synthetics for 12 years now and they are worth the price unless you extend drainage intervals and then I say use conventional at recommended intervals.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-28-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Registered

Like DONZIMAN said; "AMSOIL 20/50 - 2000 series - racing". !! No heat - No problems!! No more discussion!! --- Jer
Old 05-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like there are a lot of 20 some year old Mercruisers out there that have used nothing but straight 40 wt oil since the 80's. I don't hear too many abnormal noises coming from them. And don't put too much faith in what Merc tech support says, they're trained to not answer questions. I'm sure if they're bring out there own brand of synthetic oil the have studied the effects of it on their engines.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered

Merc.does use a syn. in their hi-perf stuff. But I will agree that if you stick to what the manual says to use in their stock engines, and you have a stock engine, and run it within stock parameters, then just do what the manual (and bowtie) says. --- Jer

Quick Reply: Why Doesn't Merc Use Synthetic Oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.