38 cig or 42 Fountain >

38 cig or 42 Fountain

Notices

38 cig or 42 Fountain

Old 06-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: 38 cig or 42 Fountain

What about a 37 outerlimits say 96 or 97, How do they stack up in the picture?? Stepped hull, and mild power should get you decent performance.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
42 Fountain. This board has alot of Cig lovers on don't let them sway you. If you want to be fast with mild power there is only one choice. If you want to go really fast with heavy power there is only one choice. They don't like to hear that so I'll say it.

Both are good boats. There have been problems with a few Fountains, they make a lot more boats. Cig has had multiple owners in a short period of time, that would worry me. I have looked close at hulls and decks on some Cigs up here and the stress cracks all over is something.

The main thing YOU have to decide is style. Do you like the lo profile fountain with the custom beak (many here hate-I love-one of a kind not like all the rest) and with lo freeboard OR the bigger hull style of a Cig? Then the cabin styling you have to look at.

I like the Top Gun. They are cool and way more custom. I would consider a Gun or Tiger also, but would probably end up with a Fountain again. Just too big, getting close to a lo profile express cruiser for me. If you are 6'6" you'll look stupid standing in a Fountain. Reggie looks goofy standing in a Cig if he ever has.

How about APACHE?? now there's a boat!!!!!!!!! hee hee
Blahh, blahh, blahh...
Resale?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Blahh, blahh, blahh...
Resale?

RESALE ????????????? How happy do you think the original owner of your boat is about cigarette resale?
Old 06-01-2004, 05:33 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by powerguy
RESALE ????????????? How happy do you think the original owner of your boat is about cigarette resale?
If you buy new, your fair game.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

Go with what you like...both boats have already depreciated if you get one used and they are both great boats. I like Fountains because I like the way they look. A friend of mine has one and it handles rough water great and it hasn't given him any more problems than any boat either of us has owned. Boats break no matter what...Look at all the stuff on the site here. If you are anything like the guys I know after a few years something new will be replacing it anyway. Never satisfied...........thats what makes this so expensive.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

People don't point and ask "is that one of them there 'Fountain' boats"?

Dollar wise the Cig will hold value infinitely better than the Fountain.

Equal power the Fountain is faster than the conventional "V"s, the TS Guns are much closer.

When it's rough, like the real deal offshore rough, though the Fountain guys will disagree, there is no comparison in the ride, or how much more punishment the Cig will take.

There are a lot of great great boats out there, but when you pull up to the dock, and you're in a "V", nothing says it better than Cigarette.

Only my two cents.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 38 cig or 42 Fountain

If you want a 38' boat, buy a 42' Fountain!

I happen to really like the Formula line but if I were to look at buying another boat anytime soon, it would be between the 382 Formula and the Top Gun (maybe a cat if I could talk the Misses into it! ).
Old 06-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been on them all. 38 TG is my choice. The Tigers are sweet as well. My friends or acquaintences who have or have had Fountains all want to trade me when the water turns rough.

Yes, a fountain with less power is a faster boat but when the water turns rough, the Cig's get goin! You will always stay dry in a Top Gun. You will get drenched in a Fountain.

GHL mentioned resale. Yes, new owners take the initial hit. I have always bought mine 4-5 years old. No hit except for the improvements or personalization I have done to them. If your wallet is a little light you can get more feet of boat with a Fountain than a Cig.

Good luck making your decison.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered

we have had 2 fountains love em. would buy a cig but not willing to pay the premium for it. the diff i saw was 50k-100k diff and that is 350-800 mo pmt diff. and that would prob also add 1-2k per yr in ins. thats alot of fuel. if i lived in florida or so cal and i ran in the ocean i woulld have a tiger hands down its a wave smashing beast.. but realistically i dont have big enough water here to justify a tog gun or even a 42 lightning.. so i saved myself a ton of money.. would ahve bought a 38 fountain couldnt find one so i got anotther 35.. and around here in sf bay delta area its perfect size for me and my family..
buy what u like and what fits your budget.. i see people becoming boat poor as the pmts, ins, etc set in. that can take the fun out of it in a hurry. especially if something breaks and one doesnt have any spare change left to repair..

my 02,,
Old 06-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered

what i would buy is an active 37,, there is a badass one that was for sale a few mo ago talk to pat,basically same set up as jasmans old boat diff colors.basically a 100 mph boat for low 200's... i think its a sweet boat. hindsight is crystal clear. i think its the quality and performance of a cig with out the premium of the name.
oh oh some cig owner are gonna want my head on their mantel for that statement..