F*ck*ng Holley!!

Notices

F*ck*ng Holley!!

Old 06-05-2004, 03:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: F*ck*ng Holley!!

Originally Posted by racinbird
drilling holes does nothing but allow more air in, which is what opening the secondaries also does. This is only benefial if your plates are already adjusted higher than the transition slots. Doing this means more air in so you can turn back down the primary plates where they are supposed to be in relation to the transition slots to get the correct idle settings.

Down side, too much air if not needed and be careful drilling with carb on engine so no metal shavings in intake

You need to have the plates adjusted properly at the slots to be able to get the idle adjusted properly
What is the "correct" adjustment for the plates? And do I understand you correctly that if this adjustment can't be made then I should drill the holes (with the carb off right )
Thanks
BH
Old 06-05-2004, 09:37 AM
racinbird

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
What is the "correct" adjustment for the plates? And do I understand you correctly that if this adjustment can't be made then I should drill the holes (with the carb off right )
Thanks
BH

Like I said in the first post, I would first take off the carb and turn it upside down. Look where the throttle plate is in relation to the trasition slot in the fully closed idle position. Easy to do. If the plate is in the middle of the slot then look else where, if the slot is fully exposed then I would start adjusting.

The local jegs here has a little red holley carb tuning book, pretty cheap too, it was a lot of help for me, you may may to pick one up, it has detailed pics of this procedure!! Ill look around and see if I can find my book

high tide has some good advice too, check the power valve size. But im not sure you will get correct readings at idle if plate/slot isnt correctly positioned, just my .02

Old 06-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the absolute identical problem with my port engine. Bought new/used 800cfm dp carbs over the winter and rebuilt both. I figured I had done something wrong with the one on the port side, although I rebuilt both identically. Well after having tried all the above suggestion (secondary plates, transition slots, pv) this weekend I decided to swap carbs between sb and port. Much to my suprise, the problem DID NOT move to the other engine.

At this point I am leaning hard towards some sort of vacuum leak in the intake. I am going to take some starting fluid down with me next weekend to see if I can find the problem area. Not sure if this is your problem, but your description fits perfectly.

Good luck,

BT
Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
jhnrckr

I was fighting a random idle as well and as it turned out I had about 6 gallons of water in my 60 gallon tank. I would change my fuel water seperator every season but once they get full they don't seperate and let water pass through.