Notices

Marine Stereo resets...

Old 06-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Stereo resets...

Hi,

Hoping for some audio expert help. I have a Clarion Marine CD player and AX400 amp. When I turn on the cabin lights or hit the hatch switch, the play turns on and off. I have the stero and amp wired direct to teh battery, the remote on/off switch goes to the mail switch panel.

Is there a filter or device I need to put in the circuit or was it wired wrong to being with?

Thanx
Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: Marine Stereo resets...

Sounds to me like the main switch panel is seeing a spike in voltage when you hit the other acc buttons. You can try a number of things.
Try and find out why you are seeing this spike. Is the panel have a bad ground? are your cabin lights or hatch switch shareing the same feed wire? maybe its too small (thin) and it cant hadle the draw with numerous items turned on.
you can run a sepperate feed wire to your remote switch and that would solve all problems. You can even try wireing in a small capacitor to absorb some of the voltage spike to help keep uninterupted power to the radio as well.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i had the same problem with my radio, after some troubleshooting, it turned out to be a bad ground, the previous owner had electrical taped splices and just an overall crappy wiring job. new wires and a new ground did the trick
Old 11-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Registered

Re: Marine Stereo resets...

Your problem lies with Baja. I do quite a lot of warranty repair work for Baja and come accross this problem quite often. Baja wires everything to one buss - all the grounds and 12 volt sources share the same current. When you use something like a hatch actuator or trim tabs, these things take control of all the current, leaving everything else on the buss scrambling for voltage help - including the stereo. My advice - wire the radio seperately from the bus getting a 12 volt constant lead from the back of the battery switch and bring a ground into the boat straight from the battery itself. This will also eliminate any alternator whine and ground loops. For a quick fix - remove the switch panel and take the wire from the stereo switch and tie it into the main 12 volts switch - there's plently of extra current there to run the stereo while not affecting anything else on the panel. By doing this you are taking the buss out of the loop.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Registered

Sight and Sound= searchmiester
Old 12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Registered

thought he said he has the stereo wired directly to the battery allready
Old 12-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Registered

Everthing that has to do with the stereo / amp system must be taken away from the switch panel. If the turn on wire is still hooked up at the switch panel then this wire's voltage is dropping below 10.4 volts which means that it will shut the amps off until that wire goes back to at least 11.5 volts. It's simply just a case of robbed voltage from what ever devise (trim tab, hatch) that you are using at that time. These things when they are turned on overpower everything else in the switch panel and takes the voltage that it needs from whatever source it can get it from - including your amp turn on lead. Take the turn on lead straight from the radio to the amps for turn on. And if the radio is taken straight to the battery as well then you have solved your problem.