Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo I gear broken-need advice! >

Bravo I gear broken-need advice!

Notices

Bravo I gear broken-need advice!

Old 06-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I gear broken-need advice!

Hey guys. I started hearing noise from the Bravo I on my Scarab the other day. We took the upper apart and I have one tooth broken off of the drive gear (lower gear) of the clutch assembly. I caught it early and everything else appears to be OK after we cleaned and inspected all the parts. Can I replace this one gear alone if all the clearances, preloads, ect. are set right or will it come apart, as some people say, unless I use a complete upper gear and bearing set? Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bravo I gear broken-need advice!

Replace the gears as a set. That way the tolerances will coordinate with each other, and you'll be done with the repair. Remember + over - when reassembling.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bravo I gear broken-need advice!

Depending on what year and model your present Bravo is, if it has the old gears with thin floors, then you wont be able to get that gear. They have an upgrade kit to the X gears with the thicker floors. In my experience, your better off to get a complete set and look at all your bearings. If you do it half way, it might last, and if it doesn't, well then you spend that much more!! Saving you nothing!! And I recommend you have the upper case blueprinted and setup with the proper lash settings on those upper gears. Merc is now heading in that direction, setting lash instead of trusting the number stamped on the case. I find it interesting that Imco has been setting the uppers with a lash method for some time. I follow their lead and do all the drives I do, that way.

Good luck
Dick