Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trailer loading on land >

trailer loading on land

Notices

trailer loading on land

Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
chriscraft240

Question trailer loading on land

A friend of mine asked if I would help load a 22 ft cuddy I/O. Its sitting on 4 jack stands and 2 center keal blocks. It looks simple enough, just start moving the jacks towards the back and replace them with trailer? Am I missing something?

Old 07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: trailer loading on land

I Myself Would Not Let The Boat Sit On The Trailer Until Its Completly Under The Boat .
Old 07-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscraft240
A friend of mine asked if I would help load a 22 ft cuddy I/O. Its sitting on 4 jack stands and 2 center keal blocks. It looks simple enough, just start moving the jacks towards the back and replace them with trailer? Am I missing something?
never done it, and dont know how to do it, but i could see that going south real fast.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 PM
rookie_j

did it last year with my friends 30' bayliner.

placed a floor jack under the bow keel, jacked just enough to move the stands back and backed the trailer as we went. leave the two rear stands in place and jack the boat evenly to clear the trailer..

take it slow, do everthing even and make sure there is only 1 boss!!!

we had 3, i got tired of arguing with them, so stood back and had a beer while they almost tipped the boat on it's side.. needless to say i was nominated to the position...

Old 07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
BlownBajaOnHavasu

i've used jack stands at the outer edges of the rear of the boat, and a cherry-picker
on the front of the boat.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

Ive done it many, many times. Line up the trailer under the boat until the boat trailer rollers hit the hull. Connect the winch cable of the trailer to the boat. Put the truck in reverse with someone backing the truck up real slow as you crank the winch.. remove the stands as they approach the trailer. Just go slow and u shouldnt have any problems
Old 07-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OTIS311
Ive done it many, many times. Line up the trailer under the boat until the boat trailer rollers hit the hull. Connect the winch cable of the trailer to the boat. Put the truck in reverse with someone backing the truck up real slow as you crank the winch.. remove the stands as they approach the trailer. Just go slow and u shouldnt have any problems
What if they dont have rollers???

Bunks instead???
Old 07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
What if they dont have rollers???

Bunks instead???
Good question. your screwed i guess
Old 07-09-2004, 06:58 AM
chriscraft240

yup, this trailer has bunks, maybe lots of grease? I'm going to attempt it this afternoon. Watch the local news, this ota be good .

Old 07-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With bunks you just need more stands and more time and patience.
You also need some shoring blocks and some chunks of railroad tie or large lumber.

I have done this, and you kind of have to make your way down the keel like you are moving a house. Sometimes the trailer will be in the way, and you will have to place a new set of jacks beyond the obstruction, always giving yourself room to creep back.
You will always have the boat supported, you just keep replacing the supports as you go. Don't crack the six pack til the boat's on the trailer.

You will need several extra jacks. Don't try to remove the rear stands until you can actually transfer the weight over to the trailer. Do the bow first, but not very much.

If the person backing the truck screws up the boats coming off the rear stands.
Like rookie says... just one boss. Having everybody cut the chit chat helps too, otherwise the boss spends the whole time saying: "WHAT? DID IT MOVE? WHAT?"

Quick Reply: trailer loading on land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.