502 timing chain cover ? >

502 timing chain cover ?

Notices

502 timing chain cover ?

Old 07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 502 timing chain cover ?

I've got a gen 6 502 that I need to degree the cam on. I can do it in the boat saving alot of time if I can replace the cover w/out lowering the pan. Has anyone done this successfully? I know it's half assed but I'll be going through it this winter. Somebody please tell me they've done this.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: 502 timing chain cover ?

You will need to lower the pan approx an inch at the front. I have been down this road and it cannot be done without lowering the pan at least 3/4"-1".
Even doing this it would be helpful to grind away a little material on the top on each side, on the inside lower lip of the timing cover. If you look at the timing cover you will know what I mean!
If your boat is a single engine setup, and you have enough room to be able to use a harmonic balancer puller and installer, and you have enough room to be able to ACCURATELY read the degree wheel, you should be able to pull it off!!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done this without lowering the pan. The problem is that you must cut the pan gasket. I gooed up the corners with formagasket and it still leaked. It would get you through til winter though.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Kennyo.the seat pulls out of your baja pretty easy including the base (if you didn't already know that) which will make your job alot easier. On my 272 half the bolts had fallen out and needed to be reattached anyways. Good luck,is it the factory cam,are you going to try to advance it to gain cylinder pressure or retard it a little to gain top or are you just verifying it?Let us know your results,Smitty
Old 07-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered

It's the stock cam but I dailed it in according to book specs. I later learned that it's ground advanced. I could tell a big difference over last year. I'm headed to the shop now to straight up that b*tch. I'm after the top end. Artic, your setup looks just like mine. If I ever get done working on it I'll try to post some pics.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i just changed my cam saterday,took out the 139731 and put the 139741 in,unbolted the cover pulled down,nipped the inside edges of the cover on the lower corners towards the pan and put it back on til winter then a 2 piece cover goes on.don't know if anybody else has done this but i left the intake on while i changed the cam,took wire made little hooks on the ends,hooked the roller tiebar and pulled them up tied em off and pulled the cam out,untied the wire and on a couple i had to move'em around to get them back in with a screwdriver.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a huge difference between the Gen V and Gen VI when it comes to front timing seals; you guys say you did it but it sounds more like the Gen V method of clippping the gasket the Gen VI timing cover is a cast material and has a lip that goes down into (under) the front of the pan. I am not saying you cannot remove the timing cover without removing or lowering the front of the pan but I have never done it without breaking the lip on the bottom of the cast timing cover. By the way they are about $50 from a GM dealer.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Registered

I did it! My t/cover already had a chip off the backside lip so it came off easy enough. I cut the pan gasket straight up to the block, clean it and the cover and rtv it onto the cover. The dowels came off with the cover so i tapped them flush into the cover. Let the rtv dry, then run a bead on the lip and heavy in the corners. Put a new crank seal in, position it carefullyand use two thin punches to line up and tap the dowels back into the block. Bolt it up and go. The trick is to have the gasket on the cover dry so it doesn't slide around.BAM!!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not that big of a deal to lower the pan a little!

Last edited by TomR; 07-28-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered

Re: 502 timing chain cover ?

It's a gen 6. I assumed people could figure out the o -ring on the cover. I was actually talking about the piece of pan gasket I cut off. thanks for the input.